Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I converted my automatic to a T-5 recently. Ever since I did that, I have had problems with the starter and flywheel getting chewed up and grinding. The clutch and flywheel have both been replaced, and they match up (157 tooth flywheel). I had someone tell me that I may have the wrong bellhousing (Maybe off an earlier 4 speed or something). This theory makes sense, because the starter position on the flywheel is dictated by the bellhousing. Any ideas or suggestions? How can I tell where this bellhousing came from or if it's the correct one?

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Take a pic but if it bolted up you probably have the right one. You do have an 89 HO block correct?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is an '89 HO block. The bellhousing bolts up to the block just fine, it's the starter position that I'm questioning. It's still in the car right now, so I'll be pulling it down today, will take a pic then.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
It is an '89 HO block. The bellhousing bolts up to the block just fine, it's the starter position that I'm questioning. It's still in the car right now, so I'll be pulling it down today, will take a pic then.
Look for a cast-in part number to help narrow down what it might be. Way too many bellhousings can bolt to a SBF.
Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a casting # off the bellhousing. E3ZR-6394-AA
Did a little research(google) and discovered that this is a T-5 Bellhousing from '83-'85, there was a change in '86. Does anyone know what is different? Can I use a 157 tooth flywheel with an OE '89 starter with this bellhousing?

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Mustangs with that housing came with a 10 inch clutch disc and had a different flywheel from the 86-93 models, but it WAS a 157 tooth flywheel...

The 86-93 models also use a 10.5 inch clutch.

I would swap out for the 86-93 parts and see what happens...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.