Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my dad and I just finished his 91' stang after having to rebuild it 3 times...I am looking for advice on exactly where to start with my 89 to minimize cost and keep the headaches down...any advice will help me out as this is the first car I will be working on by myself...I hope to have this car done before i leave for college in august..

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Congrats and Welcome to AFM!
What size engine does it have?

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Welcome to the family.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
Great to have you with us here on AFM :bigthumbsup

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
first off, welcome to AFM:bigthumbsup

the 86's are real beautys, i love the 4 eye 'stangs. some modifacations that will make a big difference would be subframe connectors, gears, and exhaust. ill start with the subframes. basically they strengthen the car and prevent bodyroll. after adding them, you will feel a huge difference in handling. this is one of the best modifacations for your mustang.

second is gears. gears will not make your car any faster, but they will get your car up to the powerband quicker. you will really feel a difference in acceleration after changing to higher gears. rule of thumb is if the car is a manual, you should use 3.73 gears. if the car is an automatic, you should use 4.10 gears.

i think exhaust is fairly self explainatory. the exhaust will make your car sound SWEET! there are many diffent exhaust combos out there so you can listen to them on youtube and decide which you like best. i would upgrade the entire exhaust (headers, midpipe, catback).

if you have any other questions regarding your car, you can ask them in the 5.0 talk or 5.0 tech forum. once again, welcome to the site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.