Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 Mustang Cobra with bad vibration at 3000 RPMs. I have some idea but not sure. Hopfully someone on here will save me some time and money. Info on problem and car below.

1. Vibration Starts at 3000RPMS and ends and 4000RPMS

2. Does not matter what gear im in Neutral, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th the vibration is always there.

3. Cobra has Headers, GT40 Heads, 25lb injectors, Pullys and more.

4. I dont know what the block is a 305 or 351? (would like to know, any ideas on identification?)

My Ideas:

1. Clutch needs to be replaced
2. Flywheel needs to be replaced
3. Both

Anyone have any idea's or maybe sombody had the same problem?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

·
Super Moderator
40,151 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!! the block should be a 302,the vibration may be the harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, The Harmonic Balancer, I will look into it. I am guessing this is a common thing. I do most work myself but had a mechanic look at it and he said nothing about this. What am i looking at to repair or install this for time frame or money?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree.. you're looking at a pully puller (can borrow from auto-zone) and 5 bolts (4 on the crank pulley, and on crank end-bolt that holds the balancer on. Under $100 and about an hours worth of time.

Could take a look at your motor mounts beforehand - see if they're cracked.. could be another source of your vibration if not the balancer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i had the mechanic change out the balancer and still no diffrence.

The Idle is good. No vibration until 3000 rpm's Happens in all gears including neutral. Vibration levels out a little when you get over 4000 Rpm's. Would you suspect the Flywheel or clutch? or is there somthing else im not looking at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone help please????? I am clueless on what this could be and is starting to cost a lot of money..

THanks,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.