Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 GT's headlights flicker on and off when car gets hot, sometimes stays off, mostly when i drive longer then 15 miles and car get about 195 deg's, i replaced the harness already and still happens im guessin its my alternator now or Voltage regulator, Im not sure what to do or what it is, please help I need this fix. Cops pulled me over for my headlights flickering:so
Thank you
*Kris

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you are also running your foglights when the lights flicker then your factory wiring is overheating from all of the current. This is a common problem with these cars when then become older and there is a kit that you can buy with new bigger wire and a different switch but it is expensive. Some one on this site knows the cheap way to fix it and I'm sure they will respond soon to your thread. The kit might be on 50resto.com or Yearone.com but I cannot remember. Good Luck . If you turn off your fog lights the problem will go away.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
yea like 90stockstang said, the stock wiring is too small and gets fried, and i know 50resto makes a kit cause im goin through the same thing.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
It's the #12 circuit in the headlight switch. It just isn't big enough to carry that added load of voltage put on it by the fogs. You probably need to replace the switch and maybe the wiring to it as well if you let it go longer, it will burn up the wire. You can replace as much of that wire with a larger size as you can and it'll help.

·
Registered
941 Posts
check your grounds!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.