Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1989 GT Hatchback 302 H.O. 2 weeks ago. The engine was recently rebuilt although there are alot of parts missing. The heater hose lines were not there so I knew the heater core leaked. No problem... replaced the heater core and got new upper and lower tube hoses. Coolant temperature guage in car does not work. No problem... replaced it. here is where it is getting tricky. from the passenger fender as you look into the throat. On the right there is a "t" in the upper tube that goes into nipple on the intake for coolant. That line is completely capped off. Directly across toward the back there is another nipple that is on the intake. That line is just missing. On the back side of the plenum there is the hexagon pipe for the pcv valve and vacuum lines, although right next to it is the same size nipple that is capped off. I have searched for 2 weeks to get a workshop manual due to the Haynes manual being not that detailed. I also have a black and white vacuum line in the conjuction connector just behind the passenger side strut housing that are also capped off. I have no idea what they have done or if anything can be harming the engine. Please help!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Do you have the smog pump still on the car?

The 4th picture you posted, the ports are for the EGR coolant lines. If the EGR is functional it would be wise to use them. They just tie into the Coolant hard lines on the lower intake. And it looks like the the 5th picture is one of those lines.

The black and white lines are for the EGR and TAB, TAD solenoids.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am guessing that there is no smog pump... "probably removed". When you talk of the EGR cooling lines are you suppose to put a "t" in line with the upper tube, since it already has a toward the front of the engine and that line is the one in the picture they have capped off with a bolt?

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
if there is no smog pump then, the only thing the B/W vac lines could go to,is the EGR Vac solenoid.

The coolant Hard lines, should have provisons. One in front of the TB by the Tstat housing, and one behind the TB, by the Fuel Pressure REG. The are what connect to the EGR spacer in the 4th pic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are B/W going to the EGR. But there is a second set of B/W vacuum lines that I was curious of. Is it possible that I may have different year of lines. I am assuming that when you say "provisions" you are talking of nipple to run additional lines. If that is the case then the only line that has any provisions is the upper tube which is in front of the intake which is pictured. Do you have any quesses on the port under the plenum that is next ti the vacuum/PCV prot?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am beginning to think that I bought a shiny lemon. I was just looking under car and noticed the purge canister valve or solenoid (just under the canister), has been unplugged and the line goes staright from the from underside plenum passenger side port straight to the canister. Man... what did I get my hands into on this one.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The other black and white lines go to the TAB and TAD solenoids. they are for the SMOG system. The canister purge Vac should be at the front of the intake, by the Throttle body, Facing to the front of the car. You can do away with it, with no ill effects.

Do you have Emissions testing where you live?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So from what I think you are saying is that the black canister box on the passenger side front that is directly below the K&N filter is useless at this point and that I could just pull the plenum again and cap off all line ports except for the PCV/vacuum pipe? The engine runs fine I guess I was trying to just return it back to O.E.M. BTW... the smog pump is missing. By the looks of it it has BBK headers and flowmaster exhaust... so I do not know what the engine has aftermarket besides those components... but it runs and sounds like a mean a$$ 5.0.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
All the Canister does is vent the gas tank fumes by letting the manifold vacuum suck it back in. If the smog pump is gone, you can do away with the vacuum lines that run to the 2 small solenoids behind the passneger side lower strut tower. The top solenoid is for the EGR. And can be left alone or done away with. All you need is a vac line for the PCV, Fuel Pressure Reg. And a source for the Vacuum tree on the fire wall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there any particular reason that the plenum is HOTTER than HELL? I am still looking for the rear provision (toward the rear of the engine) and I have not seen ANYTHING like a nipple or barb on either the upper tube. I do know the front provision is what I have a picture of due to the fact of the hose having a bolt in it. I think I am going to pull the plenum again and cap of the ports for the front that runs to the canister at the lower left of the engine and the on the rear of the plenum that I believe runs to the MAP sensor (it was plugged before).

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Map sensor should not have a vacuum on it since its a Mass Air car. probably the reason the intake is getting hot, is the EGR valve is letting the Exhaust gases in. Thats the reason behind the coolant lines. it keeps the gases cool when they enter the EGR spacer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.