Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 with manual transmission. I was wondering if anybody knew a good performance chip that I could put in to give it a little more go. Most of the car is stock, 57,000 miles.

·
Registered
617 Posts
There's not much point without supporting mods. Once you have decent heads,intake and cam you will see some gains from a chip but the stock heads are so bad. That's what really tunes the stock 5.0 down is the heads. I wouldn't spend on a chip or a tune until you have something to tune. They're not like the newer stuff you can just slam a $300.00 chip in and gain 100hp. But on the up side you can bolt on lots of good stuff with good hp gains for a reasonable price and still not have to chip.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
153 Posts
Actually you can get some hp from a stock setup with a chip. BUT I'm talking about a custom chip. The factory ford computers are setup extremely rich under WOT, and the timimg and timing curve is extremely conservative (some calibrations are worse than others). Anyone who knows HP knows the leaner you run and the closer your timing advance is to MBT, the more power you make. If you get a good tuner to lean up your tune some and go more aggresive with the timing and timing curve you can actually get some noticeable gains. I don't do chips by mail BUT if you'll go to eectuning.org and get with decipha (he custom tunes cars for a speed shop/dyno) he may do it for you, and he's very reasonable. I charge 120-175 for custom tuning but I only do it at my shop. just FYI I had a basicly stock 91 camaro z-28 5.7. In the 1/8 it ran 9.40's. Swaped the chip between rounds to a hypertech st 2 and went 9.20's swap it back and went back to 9.40's. So even on stock cars, chips sometimes make a difference.

G

·
but thte gain vs. the expensive isn't worth.......

for the gain adjusting the ign. timing & weight reduction would net about the same for free......

·
Registered
153 Posts
I agree 100% Reggie, the gains are not worth the money. Especially when you figure, once you do the major mods, you need it retuned. Cash x2.
And for the 91 z. I didn't buy that chip it was in a comp from a parts car. I wouldn't spend that kind of cash for a chip that would need redone after a few mods. But as a shop owner, I recomend customers against bad decisions and if they still persist that's business, I'll give them what they want.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Whatever you do dont go with a hypertech chip. I didnt notice any gains from their chip even when i used the recomended thermostat. These guys are right id put that money toward a heads, cam and intake combo or maybe a steeper gear and pinion. I went from a 2.73 gear to a 3.73 and it made a night and day difference in launching and acceleration. Definitely the best mod ive done so far

1 - 9 of 9 Posts