Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I start the car up and it shoots up to 2000 rpm for a bit then lowers slowly then lowers way to much and the car eventually dies. I have changed the IAC, Throttle Position Sensor, o2 Sensors and adjusted the screw on the throttle body but she still won't idle right...Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
All I can think of is a vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fuel pressure gauge is at 35psi..Is this too much and might be causing my problem???Or not enough causing the problem???

·
Registered
956 Posts
There is a specific way to set your idle from ford, follow this if you still have trouble Email me at [email protected] and I can be sure the instructions were right, since the paper is out in the barn...

Get your car to operating temp
Leave it running and unplugged the IAC valve (if it quits thats ok)
Adjust the idle using the screw on the bottom the the throttle body (turn it in and try starting again until it idles, if it quits)
When you get the car to idle where you want reset your TPS voltage (.96-.98)
Shut the car off
Unhook the negitive side of the battery
Hit the brakes, headlights, to get power out the the system, leave the battery unhooked for 15 minutes
Plug the IAC valve back in and then reconnect the battery

Try this, its how Ford told me to set mine, for the most part it worked, I had a speed density to mass air conversion car and had to disconnect and plug the vaccum line to the MAP sensor, I haven't had my car out from winter storage but it seems to idle fine now

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Interesting...thanx new, gonna try that.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I think the post said to keep the IAC unplugged until all is set.

·
Registered
956 Posts
according to ford leave the IAC unplugged until just before reconnecting the battery

·
Registered
956 Posts
ford made it very clear to me not to follow these directions any other way than they way that is listed, so I would leave the IAC unplugged until just before reconnecting the battery, if you plug it back in before setting the TPS the IAC will probably try to adjust itself, which will mess up the idle you just set, you unplugged the computer to reset everything

·
Registered
956 Posts
you unhook the battery to reset the computer, sorry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.