Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 89 mustang gt ho 5 speed and i want to drain my fluid and refill and all that good stuff but dont know were to begin can anyboody shine some light upon me as far as wats best fluid/oil pics would help and how please

·
Registered
35 Posts
fluid

I am in the towing business and asked a transmission guy about the same thing. He asked me "is it not shifting right". I said "no its fine just want to make sure" he said,"If its not giving you troubles i wouldnt worry about it"..then shortly after that i replaced my short shifter and could clearly see that the fluid was in like new condition..iim glad i didnt go through the trouble of changing fluid.
this is my take..have a good day!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
The process is pretty easy and I just did this a week ago so it’s fresh in my mind. There are always two ways of thought and you could just leave the fluid be but I still don't buy into the whole lifetime fluid/filter BS.
The passenger side of the Trans has Fill and Drain plugs that use a 3/8 ratchet head to remove. The upper is the fill and the lower is the drain. There are two ways you can go about refilling after you drain the old fluid. First is the Fill port on the side of the Trans which you will need a fluid pump in order use or you can just remove the shifter base a fill that way from the top. I've used both prior and they both have there benefits and downfalls. As far as fluid I just used what the manual called for Mercon ATF. Just shy of three quarts or when it starts to run out of the full plug on a level surface.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MUSTANGHOMAN, thank for the input but i want to change it becuase i JUST bought it but before that it has been sitting in a garage for 4 years UNTOUCHED so i jus would rather BE SAFE THEN SORRY U KNO?

and to BURN1CH thank u as well but can u send or show me a pic of these plugs so i can get a better idea and also what are the down falls to pouring threw shifter or wat not. o and i have ALOT OF THAT LUCAS TRANNY STUFF HAVE U TRIED THAT? does it to make a differance in manuals as it does autos? and wat about the REAR END FLUID how do i drain tht?

·
Registered
437 Posts
the only way to drain the rear end is just to unbolt the cover and catch all the fluid and to fill the rear end there is a plug right above the driveshaft that you need a 3/8 ratchet and extension and you just put the end of the extension in the plug

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks so wat are some good fluids or best to use? ROYAL PURPLE, MOBILE, UM YEA BRANDS THAT WORK

·
Registered
195 Posts
Use the specified ATF for your T-5, but save enough room for the Lucas additive. It made my T-5 come back to life and I swear by it now!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fluid not oil right? because i hheard of people usin oil

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
o and thanks for the pics. and my car cam stock with a T5? AND DO THEY HAVE FILTERS?

·
Registered
437 Posts
yeah t-5s come stock and no they dont have filters

·
Registered
9 Posts
Transmission problems

I was driving down the road and went to change gears..........It wouldnt go into gear.........The shifter wouldnt budge. I havent checked it out yet as it was getting late. Any ideas? The clutch isnt even a year old granted it was a stock replacement which I had no choice at the time. Anything I should check for? When I depress the clutch pedal, it seems normal unlike the last time when it made a noise when clutch gave out. Im hoping it isnt the tranny itself. Thanks in advance for any assistance.:scratchchin

·
Registered
109 Posts
When I depress the clutch pedal, it seems normal unlike the last time when it made a noise when clutch gave out. Im hoping it isnt the tranny itself. Thanks in advance for any assistance.:scratchchin
What type of noise and when you say the clutch went out do you mean that it clunks when you try to shift or that it just revs and does not go into gear?

I am not by any means an expert in anything, but I'm sure if you could give more into someone would be able to help you right off instead of having to ask further questions.

I have had vehicles where the linkage came loose and I could not shift (just sort of stuck in a gear, linkage just needed tightening). I have had the clutch in my 86 mustang go out where I got a clunk and really bad sound when I was driving, kind of a metal on metal plus a vibration on my clutch pedal (clutch replacement).

Other than that I can not help you. I haven't had a standard in almost 10 years.

Side note calling them standards now is probably wrong. Now the automatic is the standard transmission by definition of standard. A stick shift is more of a specialty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last time it went out it made a clank sound......no sounds this time and unlike last time, the clutch pedal is working normally. Its like its stuck in gear, cant even move the shifter......Im not sure its the clutch. Im lost when it comes to major mechanical problems and im explaining the best i can. How do you check linkage on a T5? and also, a question from a previous post.....what is the upside and downside to filling it with fluid from the top?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.