Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
First time poster, and new owner of a used 89 GT 5.0L 5-spd manual.
A couple days ago I got my front wheels stuck in a ditch and I may have been rather agressive spinning my rear wheels, trying to get free. I ended up getting pulled out by a fellow in a truck, but next time I tried to reverse - no can do!
I shift into reverse and as I try and back up, I get some backward movement and then it slips out of gear with a pop. Trying to hold the gearshift in reverse while backing up only results in continued popping.

All the forward gears still work fine however. The clutch is stiff, and disengages the gear very close to the top - after only pressing down on the clutch an inch or two. However, with brake on and engine in first, letting the clutch out slowly, the engine will engage the gear and die. So, the clutch is not completely shot, but maybe worn out?

Is it likely that I need a whole new transmission?
Is it worth it to replace the clutch, or can I keep this one?
How risky/dangerous would it be to continue to drive on this transmission? Coiuld I get another 1200 - 1500 miles out of this transmission without replacing it?

Thanks for your help,
very concerned,
89 BB

·
Registered
797 Posts
you may have bent a shift fork, causing the gear not to completely engage

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree with nnik

The top cover of a T5 houses the shift forks, shift rail, and the shift interlock mechanism. This mechanism prevents the trans from engaging two gears at once. It also acuates the 1-2 fork, and the 3-4 fork.
The 5-reverse fork is opperated by a different interlock (sort of) that is bolted to the inside side of the case. **You know that one bolt that has the torx pattern on in that says DO NOT REMOVE next to it on the side of the case, thats it.**
Might as well get the clutch, pressure plate & t.o.b while your there.
Pilot shaft bearing might be an option, too, depending on your mileage.:bigthumbsup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.