Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an '89 GT and I've been getting really weird oil pressure readings. From start up the pressure seems fine and sits a little below the halfway mark on the factory gauge, but when I accelerate or beat on it the oil pressure seems to drop off very drastically. The motor is almost all original except cold air intake and a flo-tech exhaust setup. I don't hear any ticks or knock in fact for an engine with 100,000 miles it sounds pretty healthy. Does this sound like an oil pump problem or a bearing problem? I have also heard of bad sending units that send faulty readings...any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Maybe a bad sending unit. The stock gauge is not really good at telling you about oil pressure. So if you really want to know hook up a mechanical gauge to remove all doubt specially if she is running good with no noises.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the same problem with my 88LX. It's great cold no noises and when it warms up it fluctuates alot. The lower the RPM the higher the oil pressure. I have an oil pressure gauge, but I'm waiting to get the temp also to put the 2 gauge panel in the dash.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I think I'm going to invest in a mechanical gauge before I go any further. Anyone else with similar problems?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts