Discussion Starter #1
Need help with my ignition system on my 89 mustang:
Background:
306 with the works
MSD 6a ignition
MSD Coil
MSD Distrubitor
MSD 8.5mm plugs

So here is the problem. When I disconnect the white wire from the ignition and touch it to ground i see a great strong spark from the distributor wire. When i attach the white wire to my factory harness and crank the car no spark. I disconnect and test the white wire again and there is strong spark. I checked continuity from the factory harness to the MSD 6a and it perfect. I tried bypassing my MSD ignition and going from the factory harness straight to the coil and still nothing. I also swapped out my MSD coil with the factory coil and still same problem.

Before this happened:
I changed my factory coil to an older MSD 8227 coil I had laying around when I turned the car on I noticed light white smoke coming out the exhaust drove 3miles then the car stopped it would turn but not catch after 10min it kicked on took it to the gas station made sure everything was ok then took it to a 5mile drive were it stopped and I had to have it towed. I replaced the fuel pump relay and removed the MSD ignition and coil and made everything back to stock and it fired up. (fuel pump relay was not the problem) it idle rough and felt like it wanted to die but i guessed it was due to going back to stock. Next day I took of the distributor cap and removed the distributor to change the o-ring seal placed the housing and gear back to the way it was before and again the car wouldn't start. I was stupid and didn't try to start the car before doing this o-ring project.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Use a test light. Leave the MSD box unhooked. Check the top wire of the TFI for a pulse will cranking the engine. It should blink when cranking. If so, then check the negative side of the coil to a 12v source. Look for a pulse while cranking.

See what you get......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MSD boaters coil:
Primary resistance -.68
Secondary resistance -3.1k

Ford coil:
Primary resistance -.68 jumps around to much but this is the lowest
Secondary resistance -8.1k

Coil spark wire resistance 93 omhs

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Autozone just tested my tfi coil modual and it passed all 6 tries

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It pulses and the TFI modual is working just fine
Use a test light. Leave the MSD box unhooked. Check the top wire of the TFI for a pulse will cranking the engine. It should blink when cranking. If so, then check the negative side of the coil to a 12v source. Look for a pulse while cranking.

See what you get......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so I replaced my pickup on my MSD billet distributor. And still the problem continoud. So I took off the MSD 6a ignition and placed everything back to stock and I noticed the clicking of the injectors I think and the car kicked on. After that I tried to check my MSDs wiring and everything checked out I reconnected it no start. When I placed the factory wiring back to the coil direct the car wouldnt start again. I did notice that if the car would start I would hear a loud click from under the hood. Anyone know what that loud click is because i think its the source of my problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was the black and brown wire going to the starter solenoid it had a bad splice fixed it and everyhimg is good to go just need to check my timeing over again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts