Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 5.0 HO Engine Code E. I am getting no spark out of the ignition coil. So far the igniotion coil, entire distributor assembly and ignition switch have been replaced. The coil has good voltage at the primaries and Ohm checks good across the primaries and secondary. As far as I can tell, the ECM and is working. The fuel pump primes and pressureizes at KOEO. The engine will crank but I am getting no spark out of the coil.

Symptoms: The car had a hard start in the morning on my way into work. I stopped for coffee and the car restarted normally. About five miles down the road the engine just cut out on me. As far as I can tell, everything is grounded and proper voltage is where it needs to be. All fuses and fusable links check out good.

Somebody please tell me what I am missing.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I have an 89 5.0 HO Engine Code E. I am getting no spark out of the ignition coil. So far the igniotion coil, entire distributor assembly and ignition switch have been replaced. The coil has good voltage at the primaries and Ohm checks good across the primaries and secondary. As far as I can tell, the ECM and is working. The fuel pump primes and pressureizes at KOEO. The engine will crank but I am getting no spark out of the coil.

Symptoms: The car had a hard start in the morning on my way into work. I stopped for coffee and the car restarted normally. About five miles down the road the engine just cut out on me. As far as I can tell, everything is grounded and proper voltage is where it needs to be. All fuses and fusable links check out good.

Somebody please tell me what I am missing.
Weird?!..... Starter solenoid?... Possibly ECM relay (located above computer in passenger side kick panel)... Fuel pump relay?... Or maybe your coil is going. More info please.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the wrong symptoms for the starter selonoid. The coil has been replaced already. I even tried using the coil from my Ford van and still nothing.

Are you sure about the ECM being on the passenger side? The only reason I ask is because so far you are the third person to say that and two others and the Haynes manual say that it is under the dash to the left of the steering collum. I have removed that box from under the steering collumn and opened it. Visually the circuit card looks to be in good condition but I am going to check and replace the caps in it anyway just in case.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It is the wrong symptoms for the starter selonoid. The coil has been replaced already. I even tried using the coil from my Ford van and still nothing.

Are you sure about the ECM being on the passenger side? The only reason I ask is because so far you are the third person to say that and two others and the Haynes manual say that it is under the dash to the left of the steering collum. I have removed that box from under the steering collumn and opened it. Visually the circuit card looks to be in good condition but I am going to check and replace the caps in it anyway just in case.
Then ya beat me. I have a 92 and am positive its in kick panel. 89 could be different?.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, this is driving me crazy. From what I can tell all the sensors have good voltage. The ignition module and distributor assembly have been replaced along with the ignition coil and switch. I've even tried mixing and matching original and replacement components just to try to find a working combination in case I got a pad replacement part. The result is always the same; no spark out of the ignition coil. The ignition coil ohms out good across the primaries and secondary along with good voltage across it when the key is in the "run" position. The engine cranks but won't turn over. If it were a timing problem, I'd still at least get a spark. I had gotten a Throtle Position Sensor out of range error code during a self diagnostic test. I replaced the TPS for S&G but it too made no difference.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Timing chain wouldn't be fun but is possible :(. Pop the cap and have a buddy turn her over a few times.

Had an ECM relay problem.. Was cutting my fuel pump sometimes. Was a bad wire in the connector that went to the relay.. Wire holder was broken and wire pulled out the back.. Found 4 connectors that had this problem after my build.

Computer is in passenger side kick panel.. I don't know what you took apart.. Was it white? I think that's the cruise control box or something..

Pull kick panel you'll see it... Silver box with a load of wires attached.. There is also a ground wire right at the inside Rocker below it. Check it.

Doubt ECM though.. Your pulling codes no problem..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts