Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else out there had this happen to them. Back in April 2001, when my 1989 LX 5.0 Mustang had 158K miles on it, the turn signal quit working but it was intermittent. I’d replace the flasher. It would be OK for a while, then it would quit working again. I started having trouble with the backup lights and the climate control fan not working along about the same time frame. I checked the fuse box and found I had no 12V power on those particular circuits. I ended up rewiring those circuits to a hot 12V in the box and installing in-line fuses. Then one day a few months later, the car wouldn’t start. I traced the problem to the ignition module, right there on the steering column by the key. It was cracked in half! Apparently there had been a recall from Ford, but I didn’t get the message. I put in a new ignition module and everything worked fine until September 2006 (217K miles), when it broke again. Fortunately, I remembered the previous episode. The documentation for this part of the electrical system was non-existent in any of my manuals!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had some electrical issues when I first bought my '92 in December 2012 with 117,000 miles on it. On one of these sites someone suggested kind of wiggling the ingnition switch. I did that and everything started working and I haven't had a problem since. I bought a new switch and module but haven't changed them yet. Plan to when I put in a heater core and have to drop the steering wheel anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts