Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could not having the oild cooler thats located right behind the oil filter cause a car to over heat really fast i can let it sit an idle and its fine but as soon as i drive it withn five minutes its hot. about 3/4 on the gauge

·
Registered
115 Posts
Check coolant level, Then feel around on all the coolant lines. For temperature differences. Most likely your thermostat is stuck closed not allowing the coolant to flow.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not the thermo ive already replace it twice now. and ive gone through just about every process in checkin this heat issue out. what i need to know is if not having the oil coller on will make a car over heat like this, this fast.

·
Registered
61 Posts
do you have a clutch fan ?? if so i would test it out ...engine off if it free spins or engine on and it doesnt wind up when you give it gas ...replace it

·
Registered
457 Posts
do you have a clutch fan ?? if so i would test it out ...engine off if it free spins or engine on and it doesnt wind up when you give it gas ...replace it
+1 on the clutch fan. Had this problem with a explorer. I could rev the motor and the fan would barely turn. I replaced it and I run like a dream. I would delete the fan all together and install a electric one with a toggle swith. I just turn mine on when I'm in heavy traffic and you should gain a few horses.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its not the fan ive tested the fan i just need to know about the oil cooler

·
Registered
561 Posts
oil cooler not connected would let it run about the same an oil cooler is more for oil life and engine longevity than engine cooling, your radiator is what handles that if the radiator isnt clogged i would ake sure you arent popping the thermostat in upside down then check what temp the thermostat is your using if its a 195 try a 160 also make sure to run 50 50 mix staright antifreeze can slow the cooling down

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
The oil cooler will not make it overheat.

You need to check your coolant level. Check your hoses and see if they are heating up or collapsing.

Also how old is your radiator cap? A pressure tester is always a good way to check things out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the coolant level was fine ive been watchn it for days, and the radiator cap is brand new. But today i pulled the fan off, the shroud, the radiator,the hose and the thermostat. the thermostat is a 19-sumthn. (the stock oem recomended one). Now my engine is a rebuilt 306 with b303 cam and edelbrock upper and lower intake 1.6 roller rockers, CAI, and other minor things. Now would that stock oem thermostat make it run the way it does. It idles fine but as soon as you stat driving it withn 5 mins its about one tick above half.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
How hot is that?????

How does the radiator look inside?

How old is the water pump?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Your stock thermostat wouldn't do that unless it was sticking pretty good but a 180 degree thermostat is suggested for best performance because @ 190* your computer(if you have an A9L) pulls 2* of timing. I wouldn't go any lower than 180*, as it'd be running too cool.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the thermo is i beleive a 192 or 197 sumwhere around there. and the water pump is new but it was a cheap one from carquest. like 30 or 40 bucks cheap. so i think im gunna pull that and theck the impellers on there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts