Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1989 mustang lx charging system problems. Please help I've replaced the alternator and tested all fusible links for voltage and all seems fine. Can the battery indicator on cluster be my problem? It did work at one point but recently stopped illuminating. Please give me some help.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have you tested voltage at the battery terminals? If so what are you getting? Is the only problem you are having the voltage on your cluster is not reading?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[email protected], i am getting 12 volts at battery posts. The only other thing i noticed is the battery indicator wasnt on. I had read on another forum that this could possibly be my problem but i thought id ask some one first. Thanks for answering so fast .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The voltage at battery dramatically reduces well car is running. I purchased new alternator @ O'Reilly auto. I also read some where that the new alternator could be bad itself . i am gonna take old and new to napa auto today.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry didnt answer your question. Yes voltage indicator does work fine thats how i know voltage reduces well driving the car.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The voltage at battery dramatically reduces well car is running. I purchased new alternator @ O'Reilly auto. I also read some where that the new alternator could be bad itself . i am gonna take old and new to napa auto today.
I had a similar issue with my 89 coupe, and what I found was the stater wire (12 volt signal wire) was cut and the alt did not know it was supposed to be charging. I would check your stater wire at the back of the alt and make sure there is 12 volts there. I sent you the entire vacuum and wiring schematic on the email provided, let us know what you find. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you kind sir. The schematic provided helped me, ifigured iut it was not altornator or fusible links. It was the ignition altornator regulator behing cluster. Or voltage meter very easy and simple. Yet again thanks sir

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.