Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My timing chain skipped on my 1989 Mustang LX Notchback a few months back, my friend convinced me to re-build the entire engine. A few months go by, the engine's assembled with only the block, heads, & crank re-used. Situation: I put the new engine in, hooked up the sensors, set the timing perfectly, I have spark, I have fuel, I have fuel shooting into the chambers, there's oil on the plugs, I test every possible thing electrical; purchased a new TFI module, the engine had all new parts which were put on correctly, took valve cover off & everything was functioning, tested EEC because I thought injectors weren't firing, they were...I'm out of ideas; the timing is right on! I tried 180ing it for the hell of it, nope. Anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
235 Posts
are all your wires hooked up in the correct firing order? Are they stock heads?, the rockers torqued down too much not allowing the valves to open? Is the battery strong enough to crank it over? Alot of things to check. Im sure youll get more ideas from others.

·
Registered
826 Posts
what did you torque the rockers to?...proper lbs, on these are 19 to 22lbs...to much you and the valves won't open, and it won't start...i had the same problem when i rebuilt mine...it ended up being a plug in connector i missed...i felt really stupid when that happened.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i'd try turning the distrubuter while you're cranking it. theres really no way to time it dead nuts until it's running and you can use a light. when i built my 351 it wouldn't start at first because the timing was too retarded but i thought it was close enough to start

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:headscratch:The rockers were torqued to 20 lbs, the battery is constantly on a charger, the firing order is correct, & all that's going on when the car is being cranked is the distributor being wiggled, then 180'ed, then rotated, then wiggled...My buddy has a 90 Mustang GT so I diagrammed every wire off his. The only wires not connected is the A/C because I uninstalled it, & the wire that plugs to the oil sensor on the side of the pan; the one that tells you when you're low on oil.

I have wiring diagrams for everything on it. Oh, & before anyone says it: Yes, the timing marks on the belt were lined up perfect...

·
Registered
235 Posts
hmmm, are your wires going counter clockwise in the right order, did you get your #1 at tdc on the compression stroke and not your exhaust stroke?is you ignition mudule plug on your sistributor pluged in. not dirty, maybe you got some dirt in there and its not making a good connection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The oil being on the plugs tells me there is oil flowing throughout the engine, which is good. I matched the timing belt's upper & lower gear that connect to the crank & cam with the dots on both of them, they line up, bottom of top gear to top of low gear. Yeah I made sure I had the right stroke by sticking my finger in #1 & cranking on & off. The ignition module was tested to see if it had current, which it passed, & it wasn't dirty...I'm gonna make sure all grounds have clean connections to what they're being bolted to today, & I might as well pick up a new EEC, because I keep thinking mine is failing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would change the plugs. Oil in the plugs could prevent them from firing. The electricity just travels long the oil and does not jump to make a spark. But also have you held onto the coil wire to see if you are getting spark? If you can hold onto it while cranking there is not enough voltage. It won't hurt you, don't be a ***** just grab it and crank it over. The fear of pain is actually much worse then the pain itself.

And you might want to do a compression check. If you have fuel, compression and ignition at the correct time it should start. So far all you have said you have done is play with ignition timing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would change the plugs. Oil in the plugs could prevent them from firing. The electricity just travels long the oil and does not jump to make a spark. But also have you held onto the coil wire to see if you are getting spark? If you can hold onto it while cranking there is not enough voltage. It won't hurt you, don't be a ***** just grab it and crank it over. The fear of pain is actually much worse then the pain itself.

And you might want to do a compression check. If you have fuel, compression and ignition at the correct time it should start. So far all you have said you have done is play with ignition timing.
Yeah I checked coil spark. Never even considered a compression test... I have fuel, so I'll go with your idea. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.