Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i have a 1989 mustang LX V8 5.0L stock I am just starting out im a younger guy needing help with what modifications i should begin with and the ups/downs to each one i would like to keep at or above 15 mpg and the same motor

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
LOL you will not gain anything from a tune. Tune up maybe. use the search or look at the top of the 5.0 sect's for mods.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Take the baffle out of the inner fender well behind the air cleaner and bump the timing to 12*......won't cost you a penny. Then mod away depending on your budget. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
90 Posts
Cheap mods first, k&n filter, bump the timing 14-16 btdc.

Next get the pocketbook out. One of the best mods you can do is a rear end gear swap, a mod you can actually feel the difference in the car. It will set you back 400-500 bucks installed but can be cheaper depending on where you live.

Second I say the subframe connectors, stiffens up the car and makes a ton of difference in how the car feels in terms of handling.

Third if it were me I always like the sound of a mean exchaust so I'd say go with a catback system, will add around 20hp and sound meaner.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I agree, do a basic tune up, new spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, fuel filter, get a k&n filter on the stock intake and bump the ignition timing to 14-16 degrees. Then do rear end gears and weld in subframe connectors. What transmission do you have?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts