Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of used mufflers, still in very good condition, My question is, does it matter if they are installed with the letters facing up towards the car? Its sounds loud in the inside of the car but not that loud on the outside. they are 40 series mufflers. I know the inlet outlet are correct. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
122 Posts
if you know how to install them then during your free time remove and switch them around and test it out

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have a set of 40 series. The correct mufflers for the Mustangs should have the inlet offset to one side and the outlet offset to the opposite side. One should be installed with the letters on top, the other with the letters on the bottom. Mine went in that way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well actually when the letters are at the bottom the inlets are in and the outlets are at the opposite ends. but when I welded the pipes to the mufflers i didn't realize the letters were facing up. I couldn't switch them around because the piping wouldn't fit. so I had to put them facing up. I hear other mustangs around here they sound really loud.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The orientation of the mufflers isn't going to change the sound. They should look like the drawing when installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
The letters will be facing up on one and down on the other because they're stamped and welded the same way. But you'll be rotating one over to orient it to the car so the letters on one will be on the top side when installed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats exactly the way I have them, but with the letters up. So I thought they were probably on backwards, When I floor it the engine sounds louder than the mufflers.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Both have the letters on the top side? If so, one of them is backwards. You'll probably be able to tell which one by seeing which side is putting out more air, the side that is less is the one that's backwards. Flowmasters are not reversable due to the chamber's baffles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.