Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and to owning my mustang.. and I think I've already gotten myself in deeper then I had wanted. (At least deeper then I had wanted so quickly.)
The car is a 1989 mustang hatchback GT 5-speed. The engine was converted to carb, and was rebuilt about 10,000 mi ago with the following parts..Edelbrock 750, ford racing pistons / rods, crane roller rockers, a mild cam, hooker headers, bbk H-pipe, converter delete, and flowmasters. The transmission was rebuilt too and has a zoom stage 3 clutch, and MGW short throw shifter...The engine was bored over .030 when rebuilt.

The car was originally being set up for drag racing, but the guy lost interest / had other projects. Since buying the car I've put new oil pressure and water temp sensors in, and fixed a ground problem.

The car still needs a lot of work.. More then I want to list in this initial post ! haha.. So anyways onto to horror story; I noticed the the trans was slowly seeping oil out the other day so after my oil change I decided to check it and see if it was running low. In doing so I ended mistook the fill plug for a bolt that ended up being a pin inside the trans. When I took it out I heard parts fall inside the transmission and now there's no way to get it into any gear, and 5th and reverse are non existant.. I'm guessing I'm going to have to drop the trans after making this horrible mistake.. My question is how difficult is this to do on this car? Any tips? And do you think I did any major damage to the internals of the transmission? I wasn't counting on having to do a major rebuild so soon.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Dont drive, pull the pan. Take a pic of the part you removed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have the bolt / pin out of the trans still right now. But I was able to find some pictures that show it during a rebuild. The bolt is on the top in the first picture above the reverse switch, and on the right side of the casing in the second picture.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Don't have the bolt / pin out of the trans still right now. But I was able to find some pictures that show it during a rebuild. The bolt is on the top in the first picture above the reverse switch, and on the right side of the casing in the second picture.

The is the bolt that holds the 5th/reverse arm. There should be an aluminum "arm" that is still on the bolt but if you loosened up that bolt from the outside, the retaining clip that hold the arm stationary, fell into the case.
There is no way to fix it without dis-assembling the case and removing the gearset.
You can download a service manual for free at Tremec's website for the T5 at www.ttcautomotive.com . On the main page, in the upper right hand of the page is a couple of drop down boxes. One of them is for product literature. Click on that, then clickk on service manuals and T5 is one of the options. It is in PDF form so you'll need Adobe Acrobat to download it. I may have a hard copy of the manual if you are interested in it.....shoot me a PM with your name and address and I will send you one. :bigthumbsup

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO, T45 & T56 Transmission Systems

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.