Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a rebuilt 302 with several mods nothing serious like turbo or supercharger. basic run through what i have a edlebrock rpm performer intake larger headers short tube style h pipe with flowmasters f303 cam 351 windsor heads with lots of machine work under drive pulleys ac/smog delete 24lb injectors bbk fuel rail bored .30 over new bearings and new stock crankshaft am currently running stock fuel regulator but getting adjustible one this week moroso cold air intake not sure about the mass air flow as i was told it was for the 24lb injectors but starting to think its a stock one. 255lp fuel pump msd distributor 9mm plug wires with bosch platnium 4 spark plugs and there may be a few other things but cant remember right off hand ne how the engine starts right up and dosent sputter or ne thing but put it in gear and try to drive it and it bogs down and almost sounds like its missing there isnt backfiring or ne thing just not running right. where should i go from here or do next to try fixing this. thanks

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
The pump with stock reg is probably the problem get the adj set to 38# with vacuum off. Are your 24# inj calibrated to the MAF? Timing should be set @ 12-14* also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you started with the basics? Check the plugs and wires, with the car running pull each plug wire and listen for a change. Checked the fuel filter? I had a clogged filter once that had me trouble shoot everything before I finally checked the filter (which I should have checked first). Nothing is blocking the air intake correct?

I would check everything simply first. After that you can start looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The pump with stock reg is probably the problem get the adj set to 38# with vacuum off. Are your 24# inj calibrated to the MAF? Timing should be set @ 12-14* also.
yes i figured the stock regulator would give me problems but think its more than just that... and like i stated i dont think the MAF is calibrated to the 24 lb injectors as i bought the car from someone else and they were already on there and i see no after market label on the mass air and the plug that goes into it is the stock one. getting a adjustible regulator some time this week. think i got the timing right though.. some guy i talked to earlier today said the firing order is different when u change the cam out is there ne truth to this or no i currently have it set up to stock 5.0 ho firing order

Have you started with the basics? Check the plugs and wires, with the car running pull each plug wire and listen for a change. Checked the fuel filter? I had a clogged filter once that had me trouble shoot everything before I finally checked the filter (which I should have checked first). Nothing is blocking the air intake correct?

I would check everything simply first. After that you can start looking elsewhere.
to my knowledge nothing is blocking the air intake if something is dont know what it would be.. the engine is a fresh build like ive drove maybe 3 miles on it just testing it so dont know how filter would be clogged and will check the plugs and wires but it seems to be running fine when u start it and not trying to drive it. a guy earlier on the phone told me the firing order changes when u install a different cam i have the f303 is there ne truth to that or did he just not know what he was talking about

·
Registered
525 Posts
Timing, IAC, Fuel Pressure, Idle set screw

You mentioned you have fuel rails and 24#'s do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

A lot of my tuning on my 306 came down to fine touching the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
What MAF do you have is it calibrated to 24lb injectors? What do you have the timing set at? What is the fuel pressure set at? Not a fan at all of those plugs you should stick with autolites.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
It needs a custom tune, I don't see anyway the computer could possibly sort out all the mods you have

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Timing, IAC, Fuel Pressure, Idle set screw

You mentioned you have fuel rails and 24#'s do you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator?

A lot of my tuning on my 306 came down to fine touching the fuel pressure.
getting the adjustible fuel pressure regulator this week, timing is set fine i think,what can i do with the idle set screw

·
Registered
107 Posts
im having the same problem too. similar work done to the engine.
mine doesnt run smooth until its over 2000 rpm.
possible because of the bigger cam.
i also have stock regulator but i also have stock pump
does urs bog all the time or at certain rpm?

·
Registered
43 Posts
What MAF do you have is it calibrated to 24lb injectors? What do you have the timing set at? What is the fuel pressure set at? Not a fan at all of those plugs you should stick with autolites.
im starting to think the MAF is stock so no it wouldnt be calibrated to 24lb injectors. fuel pressure is set at stock as dont have a adjustible fuel pressure regulator yet getting that later this week. how do i check for what the timing is set at as my buddy did it for me and what is the problem with the spark plugs as ive never heard ne thing about them in a bad way

recheck the distributer and did you degree the cam.
what u mean degree the cam it was set at 0 im pretty sure when we put the timing chain on and as far as the distributor not sure what it is set at as of now as my buddy put it in time for me and it seemed right as the engine starts right up and runs fine and dosent stall out or ne thing just dont run right when driving it

It needs a custom tune, I don't see anyway the computer could possibly sort out all the mods you have
there is a local shop that is mustang specific there called dayton 5.0 any how they told me it would need a tune once i got it running but figured it would run better than this. they want like 575$ to do it. but im wanting to make sure i have it running good as possible and all the right parts so they dont try charging me more. aka fuel pressure regulator and a MAF that is set to the 24lb injectors.

im having the same problem too. similar work done to the engine.
mine doesnt run smooth until its over 2000 rpm.
possible because of the bigger cam.
i also have stock regulator but i also have stock pump
does urs bog all the time or at certain rpm?
it runs decent through first gear decent at best aka decent 2nd gear in my tranny is messed up going to replace the tranny in the next couple months didnt know 2nd gear was totally ****** when i bought the car. but ne how when it gets to 3rd gear it for surely messes up and the rest of the gears r to.

·
Registered
183 Posts
you should always degree the cam with a degree wheel 99% of the time it will be ok but you just never know. with the distributer it is possible to be of just a few degrees in front or behind the number one cylinder. these are just a few things to check that won't cost you any money. i would say that you should be able to get the motor running fairly decent without a tune.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
A tune is not really necessary for your car to run correctly as it should be. A tune would be for fine tuning the car for the little things. Also if the maf is not the same as the injectors then it will not run correctly. Also it would be a good idea to recheck your timing just to be sure. Check, check and recheck everything you can to rule out the simple and usually overlooked things before you start taking things apart.

·
Registered
107 Posts
when i first started up the new engine it ran just like ur describing. forgot to mention this.
i had put the distributor in but i was one or two teeth off so i couldnt get my timing right and it ran like crap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.