Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:needahand:eek:k here is the story... I purchased the car about a month or so ago and have been going thru it cleaning it up and trying to get it to run better. I thought i had done a pretty good job with the tuneup, plugs, wires, cap and rotor and fuel filter thus far. It ran wonderfull... in town with a sputter here and there, it still needs some work ie.. sensors and what not so, i decided to take it on the highway after dropping my wife off at work, got the car to about 65 and had a serious loss of power and had to take the next off ramp, once i was back down to about 40ish it ran fine again and i was able to procede home like nothing had happened, there was also a smell when it was happening but i dont know how to describe it, like a warm rubber smell, i thought i had broke the serpentine belt but the car was still running and there was no noise in conjunction with the event, im going to try to reproduce it again this upcoming weekend when there will be somebody around that can come get me incase something happens lol. What could it be? Where should i look first?

:newhere:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Could be a clogged cat or a fuel delivery problem. Check the fuel preasure and the volume.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Wouldn't the smell be pointing more towards a clogged cat?

Steve:?:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Very much so. The cat can also smell if the engine is lean from a pump that is not up to snuff.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so its likely not a transmission problem? wouldnt a clogged cat affect the whole mph/rpm range or is it something that is more noticable at highway speeds, like i said it does seem to run fine in town thru the whole rpm range, it was only when I took it on the hwy up to 65 that it acted like it did...

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
You have a T-5... that certainly isn't the problem! Did you try replicating the problem again?

Steve:?:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:newhere: what do you mean by T-5, im assuming thats an engine code, im going to feel dumb as soon as you tell me what it is :D... and no i have not yet tried to replicate the problem, ill be doing that this weekend when somebody that can assist me if there is a problem is home, know what i mean :D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
T-5 is the manual transmission... It is a Borg Warner T-5 5 speed. Don't feel too dumb:laugh:...

But seriously, hopefully someone else has had this problem because I am coming up with a blank right now?

Steve:bigthumbsup:?:

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You have to dig in. Compression test fuel preasure and volume backpreasure reading timing codes ETC ETC. TOM

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Was it like it bogged out. At home when idleing does it feel too hot under the hood but temp gauge ok? If so I would check the cat. I had a 72 Nova that the exhaust pipe collapsed and done this. It would not get above 10mph. We dropped the exhaust pipe off the exhaust manifold and ran fine. May try that drop exhaust down creat a gap between pipe and manifold and go for a drive and see if ok. That is how I got home that night. Maurice

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 89' 2.3 both cats were clogged . I found the problem by disconnecting the pipe from the Exhaust manifold to the EGR . Before I found it the car idled fine but wouldn't go past 15 mph and then die. Good luck and take Tom's advice

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry i haven't posted in awhile, i have since taken the car on the highway several times, and it has no problem getting up to speed now, and always seems to run better after i take it on the highway. It still runs better in cold weather and wet weather is still rough. One person i talked to said it was an engine temperature sensor giving the computer false readings. When I turn the car off after its been driven awhile and restart it, the idle ceases to be erratic (for a few anyway) and it seems to run a little better, what specifically is the name of this part?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a K&N Air Filter on order from autozone, i took the old one out and it was in worse shape then i thought, so i guess that is why its running rich, basically choking the engine, so I hope it fixes my problem, wish me luck :D :bigthumbsup

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.