Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 GT is giving me a freakin' headache. It has an issue where it takes an excessive amount of time to start when it's been driven within 30 minutes to 24 hours. It takes 4 or 5 seconds cranking, sometimes two attempts. When it does start, it stumbles for a minute before gaining it's composure and the exhaust smells quite rich. I have replaced the following; Plugs, wires, ignition coil, ignition module, and injectors. I can hear the fuel pump running, so I don't "think" it's a fuel supply issue.

Does anyone have any direction for me here? I really feel I have covered all of the basics here. Maybe a fuel filter? I dunno. Please help if you have an idea! I appreciate it.

Mods include; GT40P Heads, Cobra 1.7 rockers, Explorer/Downs Ford intake, 65mm Explorer TB, 73mm C&L MAF (calibrated with 24lb. tube), 24lb. Motorsport injectors, MAC Headers, MAC O/R H-pipe, MAC Flowpath catback.

Note: It did this prior to my head/intake/injector swap. I thought I had a leaky injector because of the raw fuel smell. I was wrong!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check your fuel pump relay. Chances are it's hanging after you turn your car off dumping some extra fuel. When you start it it'll be rich till it clears the cylinders.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Make sure the relay shuts off the pump after 2-3 sec of turning key into on position. If it keeps running either replace the relay or you have a stuck inj.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought something like that may be the case. But then I was thinking, wouldn't the injectors have to be getting 12 volts to them to allow the fuel to pass by them? Maybe my understanding is wrong, I will check the relay though. I think I may have one I can just replace it with.

·
Registered
69 Posts
my car is doing the same thing, it takes like 4 tries if the car has not run that day... thinking it may be the fuel pressure regulator or a problem with the fuel pump also

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol key word was stuck!
LOL my bad, I should have explained better. This has happened on two sets of injectors. Does the fuel pressure need to be at a certain pressure to start?

·
Registered
69 Posts
yes.. pick up a fuel pressure guage, it may be the problem and its just nice to have! i have one on my cobra that i need to put on my notch to check it to see if that is the problem

if you pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and smell gas then its probably bad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.