Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the engine is a rebuild, but the one buddy thinks the turbo seal might be shot.

the only thing that wasn't rebuilt was the turbo. If any of you guys have any guides at all regarding the turbo from an (88?) Turbocoupe 2.3 let me know.

Any tips at all would be wonderful.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Pull the cooler off and check for oil in it. If it has a film of oil it neads rebuilding. The stock IHI turbo is maxed out at 18 lbs. If you waht to run higher boost you will a T3 T4 hybrid The stock ihi is a very reliable turbo. But the seals can go. Check the backlash on the turbine. If there is any play its turbo time.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Never run a heavy oil in a turbo 2.3 NEVER NEVER EVER. :nono:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never run a heavy oil in a turbo 2.3 NEVER NEVER EVER. :nono:
Right now I have Quaker State premium 10W30. I was running synthetic in it for a bit.

Apparently, the turbo seal is the one thing that never got checked or replaced.

I checked the bearing at the impellor and its all good.

I did notice today that it was fine until my idle speed went up a bit (i presume that is when the turbo is fully warmed up) and that is when it started puffing.

So, I am going to try and take out the turbo and disassemble it and check the seal. just before the turbo starts at the center piece is all clean, so my next step is the turbine.

·
Registered
960 Posts
im not saying run 20W30 i had expected him to be running 5w30 so i was just saying maybe go up to 10W30 but since he is running that it doesnt matter.

there are two places in the motor besides the turbo that oil can come from (that i can think of right now) the the piston rings and the valve guides unless your oil is just to thin but with what your running it shouldnt.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as i said, it only seems to happen when the turbo is warmed up. that's where my suspicions lie.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
The bottom end of the 2.3 is very strong. And the valve seals are neoprine and also very strong. But the turbo is not so strong (seal wise). The fact that you are seeing oil after a warm up makes me tend to believe its the turbo seals. It could very well be a combination of all three but i dought it. I run the new honda light oil in my TC engine. And never use an oil heavier than 5W30. Unless its always hot in your state like FLORIDA.:bigthumbsup:gringreen

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.