Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let me give you a break down of the motor first. I purchased someone else project first mistake ha ha only paid 1500 for the car motor is supposed to be a 94 block, gt 40 heads, trw forged pistons, lunati crank and cam (dont know the specs) 24lb injectorsedelbrock upper and lower manifold headers 75mm maf and throtle body, bbk intake 3:55 gears new t-5 tranny.

Well after doing all the rearend suspension frame straightning and sub frame connectors and multiple other things i decided lets take the car to the dyno and get some baseline numbers so i know were im starting at. First of three runs car starts pull up fine hits about 3800 rpms and timing pops (timing is at 12 deg) and is leaning out. same thing happened on the other 2 pulls. bumped timing to 14 deg no pop but seems like the car noses over. 1st and second seem rediculous strong then once in third the car falls on its face. It feels like its falling over once it comes on the cam hit 150hp and 214 tq at 3800rpms and that seems to be were the cam is just coming into its power band.

also installed new fuel pump and filter before the dyno runs:scratchchin

·
Registered
256 Posts
-At first I was going to say someone spent some good money on internals, but after reading the rest looks like someone did not do their homework, dont know how cool you are with the seller but I would first try to find the specs on your combination, if not anything you do will be like shooting in the dark, your gonna hit something but it probably wont be your target. Most call it piston to head contact.
-Honestly though I doubt Lunati cut a cam that bad so im wanting to say its going to be in your fuel to air and timing thats giving you a lack in power.
-Your going to have to start with finding the specs to your setup, if need be the cam has a serial number stamped on the front, of course this involves removing timing cover and all but hey better safe than sorry, your springs may not match, valves not opening like they need to be, well lets just say there is alot of things that stem from combination.
-Or since you saved alot of money by switching to Geico (BUYING INCOMPLETE PROJECT) you could invest in your own rotating assembly and go with the flow. Good Luck:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i was almost thinking just starting with a fresh motor build but was hoping maybe i was missing something but doesnt sound like it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Take the block apart find out what the internals are, find the grind number off of the cam make couple phone calls, if no one has an answer for ya just change the cam, everythin else should be good, go back to ground 0 with a new cam and make sure you keep track of the changes you make, you dont necessarily need a new block, just take yours apart, might save you couple hundred bucks :scratchchin

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Too bad you don't know the specs on the cam but that sounds like someone didn't change the springs and you're getting valve float. I'd suggest keeping the bottom end as is, and redoing the top. That way you know exactly what you have and won't get damage from using mismatched parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys think ill try pulling the top end apart like eagle said and also get the cam specs and see what i got going on there. Valve floatt would cause to much air to enter the combustion champer so the motor would lean out correct?:scratchchin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.