Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my A/C compressor, now I'm trying to get my serpentine belt back on, but am having problems gaining any tension. I broke the bolt on the tensioner just fine, no problems, but the tension just isn't enough to fit the belt back on. it's like the thing is too tight to do anything, I can move it if I use both hands, and all my might, but the spring is sooo tight that I can't do more than that... I can't get the tensioner to stay in place long enough to get the belt over the compressor pulley

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Are you use a socket and ratchet or breaker bar to fit up on the tensioner pulley.
These might help solve your problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using a socket and ratchet... like I said, I broke and loosened the bolt just fine, that's not my problem... but that doesn't loosen the tensioner for me

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, correction, I now have loosened the bolt enough to let the tensioner out of the hole that the peg sits in, I've got the belt placed, but there's soooo much tension that I can't muscle the tensioner back in place... (alone that is)... any tips?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
You do not loosen or take the bolt out of the tensioner wheel the bolt stay tight to the wheel and tensioner.

Do it this way...

Put the wheel back on.

Next put the bolt back through the hole in the tensioner and hand tighten the bolt as much as you possibly can.

Now that you can't tighten it any more either use a large ratchet or large breaker with the correct socket and start tighten the bolt the rest of the way.

Once that bolt gets so tight you'll start to raise the tensioner pulley upward enough where you can get the belt under the tensioner wheel.

See if this helps explain what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I found a mechanic that came to help for free... now that I saw how the thing is supposed to work, I feel REALLY STUPID!!!

hahaha...

Thanks for the help!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts