Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here and i need some help...

Just picked up a new 1989 LX 5.0 for a great deal, but i have encountered a few little electrical problems with the lights.

Brake lights dont work, checked the fuse panel and no fuse...ok... replaced the fuse and it pops... no apparent shorts in the hatch, grounds all good... My thought is the switch on the pedal... but I have never done one before, any suggestions??

When I first picked it up, the blinkers worked. Then they stopped. This car has no hazard flasher in the fuse panel, in fact, i cant get one to go in there. There are two red wires that run into the front of it. before I replaced the flasher in the back of the fuse box i was jiggiling it all around and the blinkers worked for a minute, then nothing. replaced the flasher, nothing. are wires supposed to run to the front of the fuse panel...?? Why cant i fit a flasher in the front??

any help is greatly appreciated guys. Thank You

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sounds like you have some bad contacts inside the fuse panel to me if wiggling cause them to work/not work intermittently. Shine a light up inside the contacts where you would plug the flasher in and see if they are corroded or broken...probably why they had wires plugged in...just a guess though

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hate to say it, but did you replace the actual bulbs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bulbs are all good, checked that first. The console indicators don't light up, when it isn't working. I am gonna check the connections behind the fuse box tomorrow.

Has anyone else ever noticed wires coming into the front of the hazard flasher spot? for some reason i def feel like this is the problem. I would love to wire it back to how it is stock, i just don't have any point of reference

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I replaced the brake light switch, this did not help with anything. With a fuse in #1 the hazards work all day, but the second I apply the brakes the fuse pops, this def tells me there is a short somewhere, everything looks good though... Any other suggestions????

Still no luck with the turn signals, all the contacts look fine, and the hazards flash... Where should I go to next? The switch itself? High beams and everything else on the switch works..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE__ I got the turn signals to work... turns out the hazard switch wasn't fully shutting of in order for the blinkers to turn on... So now blinkers and hazards work. Brake lights fuse still popping, I cleaned some grounds and looked at as much wire as i could. The guy i bought it from said the brake lights were always fine until after he painted it, and he did have the spoiler off. Is it possible he forgot a ground in there ir pinched a wire? Is my best bet to take the spoiler off and look around?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.