Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever i start my car it always idles super low and almost kills itself the idle is so low. just curious if there was a way to fix it or adjust it thanks. 1990 lx 5.0

·
Registered
511 Posts
is it the same if the car is warm or only when its cold? The two things i can think of to check are the tps and the iac. im sure someone else will chime in soon with some suggestions.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it the same if the car is warm or only when its cold? The two things i can think of to check are the tps and the iac. im sure someone else will chime in soon with some suggestions.
yea it does it when its warm too

·
Registered
86 Posts
whenever i start my car it always idles super low and almost kills itself the idle is so low. just curious if there was a way to fix it or adjust it thanks. 1990 lx 5.0
Hard to say, but I agree could be IAC, TPS, might need a base idle reset, but honestly, another thing it could be is the ACT (air charge intake temp sensor). Mine was bad, and the car would start, and idle very low, hunt for idle, and die until warmed up.... But don't go guessing... Pull codes !!! Se what the computer might tell you. They are pretty smart, and could tell you where to look...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm having the same kind of issue with my 91 LX 5.0 Conv, except mine does it when it's warm. It starts up everytime in the morning to go to work and idles fine. I get to work and put mine in Park and it searches for idle from about 600-1200 rpm. I usually get irritated with it waiting and just turn it off. I did Replace the IAC so hopefully that isn't an issue. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah

I have a 1990 2.3L 4 cylinder and it does the same and I do know for sure the ACT is out so ill go buy it and the IAC and see if that helps. I tested my TPS and it was fine. Comp said it was ACT but would that affect the car while driving so that it stalls or looses power and then regains speed after a few seconds?

·
Registered
180 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts