Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i got a 1990 5.0 lx droptop.doing my first front sring install with some H&R super sport springs, got the rears in, but the front is a diff story how can i say sketchy! is there anyone with some tips on installing in a safe manner?:wavey

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If you like ur teeth, take all precautions when takin those things out! (Have a buddy do it!!!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies but

is there any way you could show me the spring copressor you used i have two sets and they both are a pain, and get in the way.i tried to take the link to car domain pictures but didnt work. please help me my fox is dieing on the jackstands.2weeks of havn her sag.i have the compressor that looks like.two individual treaded rods with hooks on both sides and one i bought from jegs for my car that had 4 hooks and a threaded shaft one piece.dont know if that helps but.. ya thanks guys

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
How are you compressing the springs? Do you have the bottom hooks under the control arm?

R

·
0 Posts
is there any way you could show me the spring copressor you used i have two sets and they both are a pain, and get in the way.i tried to take the link to car domain pictures but didnt work. please help me my fox is dieing on the jackstands.2weeks of havn her sag.i have the compressor that looks like.two individual treaded rods with hooks on both sides and one i bought from jegs for my car that had 4 hooks and a threaded shaft one piece.dont know if that helps but.. ya thanks guys
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00960655000P?vName=Tools&cName=MechanicsTools&sName=Automotive%20Specialty%20Tools&psid=SHOPPING01&sid=IDx20070921x00003d

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks reggie,i have been using the two dangle hooks and one of those threaded rods, and have been cranking it down too compress it.89 coupe i have tried lowering the control arm alltheway down and squeezing the spring in, but it look like it was gana shoot out.i also tried unbolting the A arm puting the spring in there and jackn with a jack to compress it. but lifts the car off the jacks before,i can get the A arm bolts in, only by like an inch im missin the bolt holes.thanks guys

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
You're doing it right, to use the jack to raise the arm and slightly compress the springs but you might have to get the springs into a press, then get them into a compressor to hold them. That way they're shorter and be easier to put in. Then get the A arm bolts in, then slowly release the spring. Be ultra careful, a compressed spring can be deadly if it pops out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info.but im still a little confused what damn spring compressor im a supposed to use? they all seem to get in the way and wont let the spring tail or the spring itself to sit in the A arm groove, and if i use the internal one it wont fit threw the A arm hole? it just seems that all of the compressors are universal pieces of crap.is there just a modified mcpherson spring compressor that fits 1987-1993 stang years?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.