Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All ... We (wife Abby and I ... Carl) have purchased a 1990 Mustang Convertible 2.3 Auto ... and have now joined to discuss and reference with you all for our restoration / repair questions and discussions. This is our First Post and would like to say Hi to All ... Our 'stang had a blown seal in the front tranny seal ... after reading some of the discussions I think I have my answer but would like to ask anyway ... While I have the tranny out, should I go ahead and replace the pump bushing ? Is this something a general mechanic could attempt ? I have rebuilt many engines but until now my only transmission repairs I have attempted was on an '89 chev Beretta that had snapped the pump drive shaft ... simple as in replacing the distributor drive rod on a 289 / 302 . This car has only 86K miles on it and has the a4ld ... any advice ?:yelpleased:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome aboard, I too am a vert owner along with many other stangs bought, sold and restored but the vert is a keeper. This is the rule of thumb that I go by with a4ld trans
If the original bell housing bushing is not worn, reuse it. Converter hub to bell housing bushing clearance should be .002"-.003" Converter depth from the front of the pad to front of the bell housing should be 1 5/8" to 1 3/4"
Seal Blow Outs:
If you have repeated front seal blowouts on A4LD's it may not be a problem with the seal or the quality of your work. Your could have a bad bell housing. The bushing used in the A4LD is finished in place. Because of this the bore that the bushing fits into doesn't need to be in the center of the bell housing, and in many cases it isn't. When you're working on an A4LD you need to check the bell housing bushing to see if it's the original factory bushing. If it is, and it's not worn (no more than .003") converter hub to bushing clearance), Don't Replace It! If the bushing needs to be replaced, you need to make sure the replacement bushing will fit in the center of the bell housing. To do this bolt the torque converter to the flex plate. Turn the engine over and check the run out of the converter hub. Now bolt the bell housing to the engine. If the Torque converter is contacting one side of the bushing excessively, the bushing is off center and the bell housing MUST be replaced. However, a slight amount of contact is acceptable. By checking the bell housing first you can avoid repeated front seal blowout. So check yours and see good luck and happy verting

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ... I'll be checking that ... what engine are you running ? the 2.3 ? We have sons that will also be driving this so thinking that was a good engine choice ... Later :yelpleased:

·
Registered
230 Posts

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts