Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a problem with my car, it has strated to over heat real fast. and sometimes when the water is a bit low it starts to smoke white from the exhaust. but only when i am stopped, as soon as i step on the gas the smoke goes away. and it seems to be using up more coolant than usual. I check the the oil to see if there was water in the engine and i did not see anything, no bubbles in the oil.
do you think it can be the thermostat? or is there something else wrong? i need help on it, if there are more things i should check?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well running your coolant low is never good. Burning coolant is also never good as that is a closed system and should not be adding or burning off the water.

It could be your intake gasket and it can still be your head gasket.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i don't run it low, it just gets low. i had a feeling it might be the heads but i did not want to take it apart before having something to lead me to think that.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i would check your intake gasket first, if thats not the problem then i would say headgasket.. how did you check for bubbles in the oil...?

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Yep. Probably head gasket. Sorry and good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah ill check my gasket, thanks.
and you check by taking the oil dip stick out and pressing on oil with your fingers, it it bubbles then you have water, since water in thinner than oil it resides on top of oil. Atleat thats how i was thought.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey, sorry to hear. But you might have a few options before ripping your head off. might want to check your pcv valve. Or take out your spark plugs one at a time and if you have acsess to air you can put air into each cylinder and see if you get any bubbles out of your rad. Or you can run your car up to operating temps and have a friend give her some gas and that would make sure you thermostat is open and if its a head gasket or head/block crack you should get bubbles out of your rad make sure your rad cap is off while doing this.
Hope its just a pcv valve, goodluck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts