Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Im Steve and new to this forum, Actually my first time signing up to a forum. I own a 1990 Mustang LX 5.0L V8 Fox Body. Currently I am getting it ready for race season. This is my first car i have worked on for racing and so far i am really enjoying it.

Anyways, i am the fourth owner of this car and am trying to figure out some of the wiring under the hood. It seems like there used to be an alarm system junction point at one time mounted on the inner fender between the washer fluid and brake fluid. I also see there are also cut wires running to multiple points in my car like behind the fender walls and near the rear taillights. I am guessing there might have been shock sensors connected at these points at one time. This doesn't look like a rust proof system, but more so like a viper alarm system to me or something similar.

Below i have attached a few pictures showing the round black junction box. I can get better pictures if needed. Was in a bit of a rush!
I am trying to figure this out so i can remove some of this cut up wiring and clean up the area a bit. Maybe someone here has seen this.

Thanks in advance!
Steve :bounce2:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
The picture you have up is for your starter solenoid not any sort of alarm.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
AlmostSTK is correct once again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh thank you very much. This makes much more sense. Their a bit different then the trucks. Now I just have to get rid of all the cut up wires running from it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect thanks for the diagram. I'll print that one out.
Do people also use the solinoid to power/actuate aftermarket addons?
I've always been told to stay away from it as it can cause shortages.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Could those wire be for remote start?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I can't imagine why there would be cut wires near the taillights. I don't know an alarm system that would require hooking up to them. What would that accomplish? If a thief was driving away and stepped on the brakes would the alarm go off? It is annoying trying to trace/fix wiring issues. I bought a Haynes manual for just that purpose, and it sucks as far as what wiring diagrams are in there. It doesn't have complete wiring diagrams for my car, even though it says on the cover, "Complete wiring diagrams."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes it was a weird setup. Basically there was wires running from the starter solenoid... 2 wires split down and to the front head lights, one to the battery and the rest went through the firewall sharing the same hole as the speedometer cable uses. Whoever installed it yanked on the speedo cable and pulled it lose from the cluster, which I fixed. Then from the firewall it went into a BIG mess of wires under the dash. I then continued to follow the same wires from under the dash and then they split into different directions running to different areas of the car. One running to the rear. Each wire had a cut end on it, not capped off touching bare metal. While I was in the trunk I found the fuse box cover under the spare tire... :shocked:
So i'll have to continue weaving my way through all this mess. But the car runs perfect with no codes or engine lights. Nor erratic idle or shortages. :D
Ill have to get a wiring manual like you said!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I've got the complete wiring schematic for the 1990 in a PDF file. If you PM me with your email address I'll gladly send it to you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts