Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
ok i have a 90 gt with 3:73 gears, 155lph fuel pump, bbk cold air, flowmasters, smog pump removed, msd cap and rotor, msd coil, 9mm ford racing wires, and i have some underdrive pulleys on the way....now with them i wasnt going to put the alternator pulley on cause i didnt want to upgrade my alternator, but ive heard that pulley helps out alot??? is that true?? and my big question is what can i do next besides putting a new intake or heads?? im kinda on a budget for a while....i planned on bumping my timming to 14 and bypassing my ac with a shorter belt...but what else? ohh yeah someone told me to take the two black hoses that run into the throttle body spacer and hook them together, have you all ever heard of that??

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I wouldnt bypass your a/c just to try to make things faster. I would only bypass it if you absolutely dont use it because you wont gain any power just by taking it off of the belt. It does rob horsepower if it is on but you dont lose any noticeable power with it just spinning.

I would leave the alternator pulley the way it is because the stock 87-93 alternator is barely 60-75 amps. It is very very low power output to begin with slowing it down more makes it risky to even suggest swapping it.

Pullies do help but until you upgrade your alternator to a 94-95 3g alternator, I wouldnt change the alternator.

·
Registered
897 Posts
projectfiveo said:
ok i have a 90 gt with 3:73 gears, 155lph fuel pump, bbk cold air, flowmasters, smog pump removed, msd cap and rotor, msd coil, 9mm ford racing wires, and i have some underdrive pulleys on the way....now with them i wasnt going to put the alternator pulley on cause i didnt want to upgrade my alternator, but ive heard that pulley helps out alot??? is that true?? and my big question is what can i do next besides putting a new intake or heads?? im kinda on a budget for a while....i planned on bumping my timming to 14 and bypassing my ac with a shorter belt...but what else? ohh yeah someone told me to take the two black hoses that run into the throttle body spacer and hook them together, have you all ever heard of that??
Yes, heard about that.....and also made some money out of that error. That is unless you remove/eliminate the EGR valve, those hoses are for cooling of the TB due to the EGR doing its work. The excessive heat due to EGR operation end up frying the TPS prematurely.

On the stock alternator without the underdrive pulley,....follow GhostDog 5.0's advice. Even I have fried 5 of the stock type alternators. TYL for lifetime warranty parts :worship A change for a 3G is on my list also.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Only the smaller crankshaft pulley is an under drive. It turns the serpantine belt slower. The driven pulleys that Mac, or whoever, gives you for the alternator and water pump are overdrive - they speed the alt. and WP back up to compensate for the slower turning belt. You definitly want to put the new alternator pulley on. Study the differential relationship between the crank gear and wheel gear sizes on a ten-speed bike, it is the same thing.
Smaller drive = slower driven.
Smaller driven = faster driven.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bump the timing up - FREEBIE and if it is at 10 now or less you'll really feel it! Tune your TPS- see thread on here- another FREEBIE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.