Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I am new here :)

I did a search but could not get specific answers I need. I currently own a 1990 2.3L n/a mustang automatic and found a local 2.3L Turbo Ford complete motor/turbo out of a 1985 XR4TI on ebay. it has 65k miles on it, runs fine and no leaks. He does have the entire wire harness and the computer for it as well if I want to buy those.

My car is auto and would like to keep it. Will that be an issue? Will I need to buy anything to make this work with the stock tranny that is in it?

Should I get a computer from a 87-88 turbocoupe instead of the computer that he has? Did those come in auto's? Can I take the computer he has and just plug it into where mine was? My car does not have a MAF in it. I also am looking for wiring details please.

Should everything bolt right in? It is a complete long block including all accessories, exhaust manifold/turbo, belts, pulleys... everything.

Thanks in advance!

Ron

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Welcome will try to help out. Have a 89 with a 2.3 from a 86 turbo coupe. Basically same as what you are looking at. Approx 175 hp. Is you car a dual plug or distributor type. Don't know year change. Little bit of wiring differance. Stinger has site with wiring info. If can't find let me know. There is a difference in a small vam [merkur] and large vam [87-88]. Merkur did not come with od automatic so to keep od need the large 87-88 computer and large vam and larger injectors. Use the motor your accessories should bolt on it. That is what I did. I just left ac, powere steering etc in car during change. Will need to modifiy exhaust and later or now go to a free flowing exhaust. I think there is a tech article at top on turboing 2.3. Also are you going to be able to do this and "pass" smog test in you are. Something to think about. Be glad to help as I can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome will try to help out. Have a 89 with a 2.3 from a 86 turbo coupe. Basically same as what you are looking at. Approx 175 hp. Is you car a dual plug or distributor type. Don't know year change. Little bit of wiring differance. Stinger has site with wiring info. If can't find let me know. There is a difference in a small vam [merkur] and large vam [87-88]. Merkur did not come with od automatic so to keep od need the large 87-88 computer and large vam and larger injectors. Use the motor your accessories should bolt on it. That is what I did. I just left ac, powere steering etc in car during change. Will need to modifiy exhaust and later or now go to a free flowing exhaust. I think there is a tech article at top on turboing 2.3. Also are you going to be able to do this and "pass" smog test in you are. Something to think about. Be glad to help as I can.
thanks so much for the reply!!!

my 1990 stang has a distributor. i put a new cap/rotor in it a couple months back along with new plugs. it only had 4 plugs.

the engine im getting has everything from oil pan to air cleaner, that will have the VAC then correct? im not sure what it even looks like to be honest. i know what a MAF looks like if that is anything like that.

to use the turbocoupe computer, do i need to bother purchasing the entire wire harness from the same merkur i bought the motor from? to use the 87-88 TC ECM, do I HAVE to get the bigger injectors and VAC from the start? or could it run ok in stock trim with the merkur stock injectors and vac?

im not sure where to even get a bigger vac or injectors from. I do not have a lot of money to spend at the current moment so my goal is to get the motor in the car and have it run good. If these parts arent too expensive, I could swing it right away.

I am getting all the accessories from the turbo motor. they are still on the engine. I saw/heard it run today before i paid the man. it didnt make any smoke and cranked up no problem after sitting a few months during winter at the back of the lot of a repair shop.

As far as emissions go, here I do not have to take it for a car that is this old :)

Thanks again!!!

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Yes use the Merkur vam and computer can upgrade late. Pm me for more info. I just typed for about 10 minutes and page timed out. Can give you more sites and also look at my photobucket same name mgman75. Has my original setup like yours will be. I like you started out small and cheap and worked up to where I am now. And still learning and hopefully advancing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes use the Merkur vam and computer can upgrade late. Pm me for more info. I just typed for about 10 minutes and page timed out. Can give you more sites and also look at my photobucket same name mgman75. Has my original setup like yours will be. I like you started out small and cheap and worked up to where I am now. And still learning and hopefully advancing.
Do you have yahoo or AOL messenger?

The guy wants to charge me 100 for the entire wireharness and computer from the merker. I JUST found a local guy with either 8AU or LB3.

He wants 100 for just the computer alone. he also has the VAM and injectors from the 87/88 TC. He wants $100 for the VAM alone. and $100 for the injectors. I offered him 100 for all 3 but he said no. Whats a reasonable offer?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Do you have yahoo or AOL messenger?

The guy wants to charge me 100 for the entire wireharness and computer from the merker. I JUST found a local guy with either 8AU or LB3.

He wants 100 for just the computer alone. he also has the VAM and injectors from the 87/88 TC. He wants $100 for the VAM alone. and $100 for the injectors. I offered him 100 for all 3 but he said no. Whats a reasonable offer?
$100 for a VAF meter? New (reman) at Advance are that price. You would need a core.
I would try to get this stuff from guys over on the Turboford site. You could get a better deal. An LA or LB series computer can be had from $40 to $80 bucks.
Just remember, if you don't have a harness from a 87/88 t-bird, you will have to re-pin for the LA/LB series computer. Do a search on the internet for caroth. That is Chris Roth. He has a simple procedure to do this. His info is over on turboford too.
You will also have to use a manual boost controller.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$100 for a VAF meter? New (reman) at Advance are that price. You would need a core.
I would try to get this stuff from guys over on the Turboford site. You could get a better deal. An LA or LB series computer can be had from $40 to $80 bucks.
Just remember, if you don't have a harness from a 87/88 t-bird, you will have to re-pin for the LA/LB series computer. Do a search on the internet for caroth. That is Chris Roth. He has a simple procedure to do this. His info is over on turboford too.
You will also have to use a manual boost controller.
Ya I thought that guy was asking too much for those parts. I found another guy who might have it and is going to check it out for me.

Thanks for the info about re-pinning. That is what I will have to do since i dont have the harness for a turbocoupe. is it hard for an automatic car?

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Look at turboford.net I think under faq. LB-2 or 3 is for a automatic. Either computer number you mention will work for auto. LA series is for standard shift. So that computer should run you automatic. Near can remember the 87-88 turbocoupe automatic is same the 2.3 na. 86 and older are c3 trans. Like said should find someone there at a more reasonable price or evil bay.wiring info just need short piece of vam harness and repin your harness. 87-90 Mustang Turbo Swap Wiring Info I do have yahoo e-mail no instant messaging. NavySVO advice is very good and correct. He's is lot more famaliar with the turbo than me. Thanks for the good info NavySvo.

·
Registered
584 Posts
mg man, the 87-88 TC has the same transmission as the 91-93 mustang, 87-90 no.

I've swapped both P series and L series computers in my car. If you need to know how to pin it, its very easy, I only had to move 2 wires for the L, about 4 for the P. If you need help let me know.

Also I got injectors, intercooler, LB2 and a large VAM for $175.

so about $42.50 each. Keep your eyes open, you can find deals

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mg man, the 87-88 TC has the same transmission as the 91-93 mustang, 87-90 no.

I've swapped both P series and L series computers in my car. If you need to know how to pin it, its very easy, I only had to move 2 wires for the L, about 4 for the P. If you need help let me know.

Also I got injectors, intercooler, LB2 and a large VAM for $175.

so about $42.50 each. Keep your eyes open, you can find deals
PM sent to you!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Don't get wrapped around the fencepost about the LA and LB thing. Repin it and let it rip.
I have a schematic at home for the pinning of the plug....I am work right now though. PM me and gimme an email address to send the scanned version to.
I think you can still look around over on TF without being registered, you just can't post-up. I may be wrong on that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't get wrapped around the fencepost about the LA and LB thing. Repin it and let it rip.
I have a schematic at home for the pinning of the plug....I am work right now though. PM me and gimme an email address to send the scanned version to.
I think you can still look around over on TF without being registered, you just can't post-up. I may be wrong on that.
So you are saying I can get a computer from a manuel transmission car and just repin it and I will be good to go?

Here is my email: [email protected]

Thanks SO much for your help!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
So you are saying I can get a computer from a manuel transmission car and just repin it and I will be good to go?
No, I meant don't get all confused. Gete a LB series. They are "less known" than the LA, and people don't realize what the real difference is.

I sent myself an email at home to send the schematic out to you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.