Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In addition to my other post, I am considering another option. Has anyone taken the all aluminum new 2.3 from a Ranger or Mustang and transplanted the older heavy iron 2.3?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It's been talked about a couple of times. I think the biggest obstacle was a transmission. The only rear wheel drive application is the Ranger. That being said, other than automatics, Rangers and Mustangs never shared the same transmission.

Much like the guy who grafted an SHO V6 into a Fox Mustang, an adapter or motor plate would need to be fabricated to mate the Duratec / Zetec to a RWD manual gearbox (T5 or if you're really froggy, a nice 6 spd). The rest of the job would just be making all of the Duratec support hardware fit somewhere in the Fox engine compartment.

There's more, like instrumentation that add tasks to the "to do" list, but really nothing that can't be overcome with some good thinkin'

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's been talked about a couple of times. I think the biggest obstacle was a transmission. The only rear wheel drive application is the Ranger. That being said, other than automatics, Rangers and Mustangs never shared the same transmission.

Much like the guy who grafted an SHO V6 into a Fox Mustang, an adapter or motor plate would need to be fabricated to mate the Duratec / Zetec to a RWD manual gearbox (T5 or if you're really froggy, a nice 6 spd). The rest of the job would just be making all of the Duratec support hardware fit somewhere in the Fox engine compartment.

There's more, like instrumentation that add tasks to the "to do" list, but really nothing that can't be overcome with some good thinkin'
Thanks for the info! I have some used Rangers off Craigslist that I am checking on if they will ever respond. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Good luck!!! It's certainly something that I've been curious about, but never serious about pursuing.

If you get started on this, keep us posted.

·
Registered
400 Posts
im pretty sure one guy put one in a svo.
and it was almost sticking out of the hood.
you gotta fab motor mounts and yes fab it so a t-5 will work with rwd.
complicated but interesting none the less.
his had forged internals for boosting. but im sure n/a would be more more straight forward.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm still looking for a reasonable priced donor Ranger. I'll update when that comes around.

Other thoughts:
I'm not too worried about the transmission tunnel/firewall clearance. I'm not against opening up the hole and making a new tunnel cover so I could use the existing Ranger 5 speed. The driveshaft is easier and cheaper to fab than all the mating issues.

Reason for the thought:
The idea is an all aluminum engine will be much lighter for decreased power-to-weight ratio and handling. Thinking about road racing it.

More infor after the donor is found.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
If it were me I'd avoid the Ranger tranny like the plague. The suffering is about equal. Aside from that the shifter location on the Ranger trans would locate the shifter somewhere under the dash of the Mustang.

Jeez. I can't believe I forgot about these guys.

http://www.quad4rods.com

These guys make bellhousings to mate T5's to Duratec and Zetec motors. A little spendy, but considering the alternatives, maybe well worth it.

One problem solved. Bring on the next one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.