Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need some advice about what to do and what not to do when removing the engine. i have the a/c lines removed and wondering about the smog system... should i leave it or should i remove it?? the car will remain street driven and i live in South Dakota. i want to leave the a/c off any info for plugging line, what to with connections...ect. any info would be great.:worship

·
Registered
310 Posts
If you don't have emissions testing and don't need the smog pump for a visual test, i'd say off with it! You'll just have to plug the EGR bungs on the back of the heads.

If you're getting rid of the AC, id go with the motorsport AC eliminator kit, moves the power steering pump up to where the AC compressor is. who ever took my AC out just chopped the hard line at the fire wall with chain cutters, theres probably much cleaner ways to do it. Don't plug the AC drain hole at the bottom of the fire wall though, I learned that if your heater core leaks, it will drain here instead of going inside!

I just got done putting a motor in one of my cars. Tips - jack up the back of the car, its alot easier, you'll see. Also, I left the transmission in my car when I did it, if I do it again, ill take them out together - it was a PITA lining it all up going back in. Labeling all your wiring and hoses helps alot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree. I pulled my engine first, and then the tranny. Going back in together as one and should be much easier. If you don't have emissions testing, lose it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot for the info, what should i plug the bungs with??? i took pictures of the engine bay and some wire connection, i figured that would be a good reference.:bigthumbsup Also when removing the somg system i noticed there is a wire harness that is involved with the system, what should i do with that? Also what should i plug for the smog system?

·
Registered
79 Posts
i have a 94 gt ... when i removed the smog lines ... i cleaned the threads out and went to the parts store , got 2 bolts 5/8 or 7/8 by 1/2 long course threaded bolts and put teflon on them ... screwed right in , done ... as for the harness i just tucked mine in to the fender ...

·
Registered
183 Posts
when you remove the connecters use colored tie raps, when you run out of colors then use two of the same color, then three and so on. pictures are good but they can be confusing months later, the tie raps make it plug and play.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
under the car.

I have everything done up top on the motor as far as removing fluids, connectors, intake and a couple accessories. I will be pulling the trany with the motor. what exactly do i need to remove under the car to get everything free??? This is all i have left before i can take out the motor to have her rebuilt to keep another 5.0 alive and well!:bounce2:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
transmission tips

i am removing the transmission with the engine. i have the H-pipe and transmission support out of the way. anything else i need to remove from the transmission?:worship

1 - 10 of 10 Posts