Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so again with my 1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 The previous owner put in this expense single wire, self grounded (through the mounting bolts), 100 amp alternator. Problem is he only used a 14 gauge wire to the battery and to top it off there is a undersized battery that doesn't even take up the full space of the battery tray.

Would it be wise to upgrade the;
1-Battery
2-battery terminal and wires
3-alternator wire
??

Was thinking of going 0-4 gauge since I am also planning in the future to put in a sound system.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Its hard to tell what the previous owner did, I would just pick up a 130 Amp 3G Alternator and you can wire it yourself, it will be correct and you wont have to worry about it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the alternator is brand new no doubt in my mind about that. Has a black chrome cover and is bigger then a stock one. Thinking just get a nice Optima battery and put in brand new terminals and wires and it should be good to go.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Optima batteries are having life problems. Be careful. I use a deep discharge marine battery in the trunk.

100 amps is a lot of alternator.

Battery Wiring

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I've had 2 Red Top Optima batteries in my 89 GT, the first battery only lasted 9 yrs and 9 months my second Red Top is almost 4 yrs old and I never had an issues with it so far.
Typical the car will sit in the garage 4- 5 months ( winter months) and is never started. I've never had an issue with it starting when I do turn it over after sitting that long.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I have never had a problem with Optima batteries either.

That wiring sounds sub par and I would also check the grounds and ground strap.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Use a 2 gauge wire.

Clean the contact area so it is metal to metal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts