Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me e brake hardly works. I have to pull it up and down like 3 times for it to keep the car from rolling. I have checked the drums and link cables and they seem fine. Is there any way of just tightening the e brake. I thought I read a post like a year ago saying something about the metal coil on the e brake handle going bad but can't find it. Could that be my problem?

·
Registered
287 Posts
you can try adjusting the adjusters in the drum itself, if you dont back up and use the brakes then the auto adjuster never has a chance to work, I ran into this problem on a 1990 nissan I had, I backed up off a set of ramps after an oil change and after rolling off the ramps backwards hit the brakes and it made a loud "ping noise" and all of a sudden the e barake had tension...maybe it will help on your car if the adjuster didn't get rusted fast.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I have done that in the past both manually and just backing up with the brakes and it seemed the same. I'll try again in the morning and see if its tighter after that. I really wish they just put rear disk brakes stock on every mustang lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yea same thing on my 85. Found out the drivers side cable from the rear end forward is frozen/rusted. anyone know where to find one?

·
Registered
628 Posts
butcher, you need to adjust shoes and then make sure your cables are working.

Got my park brake cables from Autozone for a 95...rebel57...

P.S. due to court cases and slick lawyers it's no longer called an emergency brake it's a parking brake.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.