Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 1990 Mustang GT 5.0L V8, I cannot drive during the day, when it is hot, because the car will (most likely, and what I think) overheat and stall out, turn off, and I am unable to start it back up. If I wait ahile, it will (again, what I think) cooldown and start up for a little, then overheat again and the cycle starts over. Is this my Ignition module (on the left side of the Distributor) overheating? Please help me ASAP.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Is the car over heating its self? When it dies can you start it by flooring it to get it started? It almost seems like its vapor locking on you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not sure about the first question. Im not sure i understand it. and as for the second one, no. It wont start at all. It will turnover, just not start. I try to give it power every time it dies on me

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have been having the same problem and it was suggested to me to change the tfi (ignition) module and my coil to fix the problem I haven't gotten to te tfi module yet but I did replace the coil and it hasn't happened since

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
363 Posts
Is the motor over heating before it dies? Also have you tried to check for spark when it won't start up again? Have you checked fuel pressure when it won't start? There are many different things that can be going on with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just went with an accel coil and it's been fine ever since I'm kinda lazy but soon I'll put on the tfi module as well! Everyone I talked to told me those two things

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no the car isnt overheating itself. it used to be just during hot days. or days at all. nowwww it dies on me after idling (roughly). but when i drive it and give it gas it stays on. ? I replaced the ignitiion coil last night.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts