Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am confused with my car. I have 1990 gt convertible and i am having some transmission issues. My transmission seems to work ok but the shifter pointer is off and you cannot put the car in first gear. I have tried to adjust the cable and made it worse. I went to the local parts store to get a cable and they said they did not even show one for my car. I also read where the cable coming from the throttle may have something to do with this. any help would be appreciated. I am tired of getting beat by mazda 3's. Yeah thats right I got beat by a mazda 3. thanks for your time. any help would be greatly appreciated.:headscratch:

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You can get a shifter cable from Summit or B&M, you'll want a 5 foot length cable. If you can't put it in first gear with the shifter, it definately sounds like the cable could be damaged, they tend to crack the sheath they're in and when you move the shifter the cable tends to bulge out rather than extend properly.
And yes, the throttle valve cable needs to be adjusted properly or it'll affect everything as to how it shifts. If it's bad enough, it can cause the tranny to burn up.
There's a video on this thread that shows how to adjust your throttle valve cable.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/96357-1989-mustang-aod-tv-settings.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you

thank you so much for the help. I tried to click on the link and it did not work but I was able to just watch it on you tube. Thank you for the info. Should I do it just like the video states or is there any performance advantages to doing any thing different? I am going to check it like the video and see if that is where mine is. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.