Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 1990 Mustang GT 2 or 3 weeks ago and I have been fixing it up ever since(grommet, tierods, lights, starter). But one problem remains that I am scared for the answer and that on longer drives with no difference between highway/city. Heat builds up from the the stick to the back end of handbrake. I wouldn't say its to hot to touch, but you can feel the heat build up for the most part and feels a lot hotter than would be normal. The car drives fine and there is no difference whether it hot or not.

The oil guage also falls to only the first notch above 0 but I never trusted it because its factory stock. Engine temp is never raises and there is no overheating there.

I am going to be replacing the rear main seal(leaky) and I am going to swap the clutch while I am at it. I am asking what I should check for now and what can I do when the transmission is off the car or at least what to look for when it comes to problems.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I just bought my 1990 Mustang GT 2 or 3 weeks ago and I have been fixing it up ever since(grommet, tierods, lights, starter). But one problem remains that I am scared for the answer and that on longer drives with no difference between highway/city. Heat builds up from the the stick to the back end of handbrake. I wouldn't say its to hot to touch, but you can feel the heat build up for the most part and feels a lot hotter than would be normal. The car drives fine and there is no difference whether it hot or not.

The oil guage also falls to only the first notch above 0 but I never trusted it because its factory stock. Engine temp is never raises and there is no overheating there.

I am going to be replacing the rear main seal(leaky) and I am going to swap the clutch while I am at it. I am asking what I should check for now and what can I do when the transmission is off the car or at least what to look for when it comes to problems.
If u have headers u will have heat that's normal.I would switch to a aftermarket manual oil pressure gauge to see what your oil pressure is exactly running.As far as when tranny is out just check it for leaks,any other motor leaks,check flywheel for cracks,etc....

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I had heat problem there too. I took roof flashing (aluminum foil w/ 1/16 in of tar backing. You will need two rolls and a heat gun, all of which come from Home Depot. Pull your carpet heat down strips of flashing all around tranny hump. Then take a wire wheel on a drill and scuff underneath of car in same area. Clean w/ degreaser or brake cleaner. Finally, prime scuffed area and then paint w/ silver paint. This will take 1- 8 hour day and cost about $40. it will add about 8 lbs, but well worth it when it takes away the heat. Also your oil pump is probably bad...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems real easy to do^ but I would only do it if I knew the transmission was %100 ok. Otherwise it would just feel like I would just be masking a potential serious problem.

Already I want a aftermarket oil guage just for accuracy. If the oil were to completely drop off like it says its doing, I would never be able to make it home then, Ive already burned out a Grand Prix like that but its worthy of some concern at least for insure a long life. Car is stock btw except for the X Pipe Flowmasters(plus exhaust leak which I am getting fixed tomorrow).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/2764881060_7b6fca432e_b.jpg
Picture of my car, got it for $2700.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Seems real easy to do^ but I would only do it if I knew the transmission was %100 ok. Otherwise it would just feel like I would just be masking a potential serious problem.

Already I want a aftermarket oil guage just for accuracy. If the oil were to completely drop off like it says its doing, I would never be able to make it home then, Ive already burned out a Grand Prix like that but its worthy of some concern at least for insure a long life. Car is stock btw except for the X Pipe Flowmasters(plus exhaust leak which I am getting fixed tomorrow).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/2764881060_7b6fca432e_b.jpg
Picture of my car, got it for $2700.
Well there's your heat problem.Mine does same thing because of my headers and flowmasters.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thats reassuring. For the winter the extra heat won't be that bad (I have a second car for when it gets snowy or at least salt on the roads), I will get it done for next summer latest.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well thats reassuring. For the winter the extra heat won't be that bad (I have a second car for when it gets snowy or at least salt on the roads), I will get it done for next summer latest.
Well in winter u won't feel the extra heat.At least i don't.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.