Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have a 90 mustang gt with UDP, CAI and thats about it for bolt ons that I know of (sure it has nothing to do with what happened but thought id throw that out there). I was on the way home from work and was passing a lady to get in the exit ramp lane when the engine just started revving like gas pedal was stuck and the tach buried all the way to the right past 7, smelled the engine like it was smoking and had to cut off the ignition and coast to a stop off of the road. thought the gas pedal stuck so inspected it and it was fine. went back and cranked engine and it started up and started to immediately over rev again, so cut it off. had a friend come out and he suggested pulling the throttle position sensor and we did. cranked it and it ran fine with it unhooked, plugged it back in and everything seems fine now. but I dont want this problem again so should i replace the TPS with a new one or could it be something else causing it and just got lucky somehow when we unplugged it, please help. dont want to blow my engine. also considering it revved long enough that i smelled the burning oil do you think there could have been possible damage to the engine? rings or bearings? or for that short period should everything be on the up and up. I am def gonna replace oil just for the sake of good measure (plus id rather spend the $40 to be safe).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would replace the TPS just to be safe, electronics can have intermittent faults. Replacing a cheep sensor is much better then replacing a blown motor from over revving. The engine should be fine, older motors burn oil and you will smell it when you are at high revs because it is burning at a faster rate. If the engine sounds fine with no ticks, you should be in the clear.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The stock rev limit is 6250, and the factory tac's are very inaccurate at high rpm. If you caught it quick enough there's a chance you didn't even make it to the rev limiter.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Sometimes my throttle gets stuck around 1600 rpms. When I quickly press the gas pedal to the floor and release, it will drop back down to normal. It has done this since I did HCI. Not often, and never that high. I've gone through the cable with lubricant, the linkage, no binding. Not sure what's up, but pressing the pedal for a sec clears mine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think it's the throttle cable because when I shut down the engine I got out and inspected the cable first since I thought maybe it got stuck wide open but it moved back and forth like it should have. When I cranked it the 2nd time without even touching pedal it immediately redlined again to the rev-limiter. I have no clue what caused it or if it is definitely the TPS but I do know when we unplugged it, it ran fine after that. I did order a BBK TPS so gonna try that. Also no check engine light to see what code it throws. if anyone has any other suggestions what could have caused it please feel free to post, thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also I should note it deffinately red lined to the max, 6250 if that's correct. Was the loudest I have ever heard a mustang revved to like the pedal was just floored and held there. Tbh I didn't even think the TPS could cause it to that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts