Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post-New member

I have recently inherited a 90 GT from my father who passed away earlier this year. He was an avid Mustang guy and this car was set up for auto cross and high speed touring at a local road track. It was last driven in November 2006. I put the battery on the charger and tried to start it a a few months ago but no luck. I knew he had solenoid problems so I bypassed it and it started! I replaced the solenoid but still no start? Now when I try to bypass it I get nothing, sparks but no crank. I have used jumper cables thinking the battery was too weak but still no luck. My thoughts: battery, starter locked up, clutch starter relay switch (clutch cable replaced last year). Your thoughts??

Thanks

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Hiya and welcome. Glad you joined us.
Could be any of those, considering how long it's been since it's been run. You can have the starter and battery checked. You can also replace the starter relay switch, they don't cost much and wouldn't be a bad idea to replace anyway. Do that and see if it improves.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Does the car still have the factory ignition switch? Whatever it's using, when you're trying to crank it, the red wire with the push-on connector, on the solenoid, should be hot with 12V+.
If it's had a later mini-starter retrofitted, you might need to rewire it, as those also have an additional solenoid mounted on them, with the cable to the starter motor always being hot.
Try to borrow a known-good battery to troubleshoot this problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, good news/bad news. I put in a new battery and starter relay. Still no crank. I can now jump across the relay and it started right up. Drove around the neighborhood but still will not start w/out jumping across the relay???? Any ideas now? Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looking for an answer to this myself.....

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
If it will crank, when you jump 12V+ to the small lug (labeled "S") on the solenoid, then the problem is between the switch inside the column, and the solenoid.
The most likely cause would be the clutch pedal switch circuit on a 5 speed, or neutral safety switch circuit on an automatic.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Here's a simple solution that you may have overlooked. Check for corrosion on the cables attached to the solenoid. You might be getting hot to the solenoid, but the juice may not be going through the stud to the cable.
I found this on a car once. Had voltage when I touched the stud, but the stud was so corroded that the juice wasn't passing from there to the battery cable.
Just an idea to check out...

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
True... very true.

·
Registered
320 Posts
sorry for yelling

·
Registered
320 Posts
Replace the starter switch ($40 bucks) THEY ARE NOTORIOUS FOR GOING BAD IN FOX BODIES!!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 1990 town car has same problem. When I cross the solenoid it will crank and start. When I turn the key all of the power drops out of the dash, as it should. I think it could be the neutral safety switch circuit, or the rod that pushes the ignition.
Patrick

·
Registered
55 Posts
Found it! On the 1990 Town Car it was the starter solenoid. I replaced it and the car now starts. I got one from NAPA for $12.00. It is not the same as OEM, but it works. YEE HAW>

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had this happen to me also on my 91 GT, turns out the it was the neutral safety switch, but that was my bad cus I had installed a 94 AODE tranny in it with the baummanator control and forgot to hook up the wires (yes...I know) to the switch.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Another suggestion I've seen for these situations, is to make sure that the solenoid is grounded to the car.

If it's loose, or mounted someplace other than a grounded part of the car, it might not work?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes be sure the selenoid is grounded. When I put in the new one it did not start, then I remembered to ground it. It cranked right up. Where is the neutral safety switch? I could not find it. Patrick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good news to anyone with this problem. It was ................. the neutral safety / clutch safety switch! 20 bucks, 10 min and it started right up. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate Memorial weekend than to Dads "Blue Bomber" running again! Thanks for all the ideas. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. rtr :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1 Posts
please help with clutch switch

Hi i would like to know how to find and fix the clutch switch.
i have a 1995 mustang 5 speed. not sure that is the problem someone said it sounded like it my be it wont start when i push clutch in but it did when we popped the clutch.
i really need to get this fixed this weekend if possable.
any help would be great thank you. vicki

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.