Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello There eh! So, I go oot to my stang. I try to start it after getting it up to normal operating temp. It cranks slowly And stops. I try again and It's even slower. Like RRR............RRR. and then it fires up eh. Never have this problem when starting it cold, or even after letting it sit for a while if warmed up. Dude I bought it from replaced the starter to try and fix this. Do you think the starter is getting hot from the header, or should I be looking elsewhere? Would a heat sheild help?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You've got a fuel delivery problem my friend. Check your fuel pump, fuel filter, vacuum hoses. You might have a vacuum line that won't hold initial pressure when its hot because materials expand when they're hot.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've got a fuel delivery problem my friend. Check your fuel pump, fuel filter, vacuum hoses. You might have a vacuum line that won't hold initial pressure when its hot because materials expand when they're hot.
It has a new 190 LPH fuel pump in it. I have'nt changed my filter yet.
What I'm wondering is how a vaccum leak or a fuel problem would cause slow cranking. It's almost like the starter cuts out or retards the engine after a few cranks. Then when I try again It's really slow, but fires after afew cranks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
starter is probally getting heat soaked....

·
Registered
54 Posts
i had this problem after i put my new motor in. here i thought my starter was bad or that the engine was gong into a vapor lock or something wierd becasue i have never had this problem before. also i didnt think to check the battery becasue it was brand new. but here when i bought the battery the guy gave me a battery for a 4 cyl. mustang. so i went out and got the right battery and i no longer have that problem. throw a new battery in and see if that works.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
I'd say the starter, the solenoid, or the cables between the starter and solenoid. That sounds like a heat soaked starter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
the easiest thing would be to take your car to advanced auto parts and have them test your battery, and starter. the reason i say go there is becasue they test it for free. its the only way to start eliminating possibilities.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
the easiest thing would be to take your car to advanced auto parts and have them test your battery, and starter. the reason i say go there is becasue they test it for free. its the only way to start eliminating possibilities.
x2 battery is the key component to the starting system.

and btw, you should always change the fuel filter with a new pump.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Car has a BRAND NEW battery(right size). Starter is new. I am an apprentice mechanic w/Ford training at a Ford dealership. I have access to equipment and know how to use it.:hihi: I'm pretty sure the starter is getting hot. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this problem with their stang, and what they may have done to fix it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
x2 battery is the key component to the starting system.

and btw, you should always change the fuel filter with a new pump.
They guy I bought the car from put the pump in last fall, along with a bunch of other stuff(including starter) before he parked it for the winter. I actually have not even looked to see if it's a new looking filter.
I should, just have'nt gotten around to it. I guess I could ask him at work tomorro. It'll be my last chance
for a while cuz I have to start 7 weeks of school, 3 hrs from where I live on monday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.