Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, had a write up here with my question and lost it so I'll keep it simple.

Previous owner: Installed over size flywheel and clutch. Told me it was 11 inch flywheel. I'm not sure of actual size.

Original motor: Snapped crankshaft in two. Pulled and put 1990 HO motor I already had in.

Before I start driving it, I want to know if the over sized flywheel/clutch caused the crank to snap since the harmonic balancer was never changed.

I appreciate the help, I just don't want to snap this crank as I don't have money for another motor and will junk it.

Theoretically it makes sense that the balancer needs to be swapped since the flywheel weighs more.

Thank you,
Louis

R

·
0 Posts
do you have a 164T 0r 157T flywheel.....:headscratch:

the flywheel did not cause the crank damage unless the imbalance was wrong

28oz rather than 50oz or vice versa

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what the flywheel is as the motor and tranny are in.
It's a larger after market flywheel that the previous owner put in it. He told me it was and inch or inch and a half bigger (sorry that was over 10 years ago). The balancer now and then were stock. Then: 1985 HO Now: 1990 HO

R

·
0 Posts
Not sure what the flywheel is as the motor and tranny are in.
It's a larger after market flywheel that the previous owner put in it. He told me it was and inch or inch and a half bigger (sorry that was over 10 years ago). The balancer now and then were stock. Then: 1985 HO Now: 1990 HO

i think the old owner was blowing smoke up your @$$

ford flywheels not measure that way rather by tooth count.....

you have a 50oz flywheel and balancer i hope.....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I believe it is a 50 oz. I checked the part number the other day. I think it was E4TE A3A.

After reading your last post, I now realize that it couldn't be so. How would it fit and use the factory starter!!! The previous owner was a good friend of mine and I think he might have just been trying to sound "Cool" since we both had Mustangs... You know, trying to "One Up Me". Maybe I believed it because the frigging clutch is harder than a damn Tow Truck...

Ok, I just never understood why the old crank snapped, the motor had high mileage but was strong. I was hopping on it for a short period of time toying with another Mustang that was behind me revving his engine. But the strange part was when it snapped, I was only driving around 20 MPH. Glad it happened then so nothing tragic happened because of it!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, does anyone have any ideas why my old crankshaft? Any experieces of your own with one snapping?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^Bump

Just wondering if anyone may have any idea. Maybe the motor was just done, but it was very strong and up until that point I never had any issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.