Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the information I got from my my first thread here (and other research I've done) I've decided to put my plans for adding more "muscle" to the car on hold and focus on upgrading some of the more practical components first. I have a few questions and would like some opinions on a few points.

SUSPENSION - I found this kit on latemodelresto which seems to be pretty comprehensive - 1983-93 Mustang 5.0L Convertible Eibach Pro-System Plus at LRS - Same Day Shipping! In addition to this kit I'm thinking of going with these ULCA - 79-98 Mustang Elite Chrome Moly Urethane Control Arm Suspension Kit (I assume this kit is both lower and upper although it doesn't really say). Will be replacing ball joints as well. Is this a quality suspension kit, and are there less expensive options out there with comparable quality? Are there any other critical suspension pieces not included with these kits that I should consider? ANd could somebody tell me the difference between the "hardtop" kit and "convertable kit" from latemodelresto? The hartop kit indicates a 1.2" drop in front and 1" drop in the back, while the conv kit states "lower more aggressive stance" but doesn't indicate if it also lowers the car by the same margins (I would like to lower it).

REAR END / BRAKES / 5-lug conversion: This seems to all tie together I think. The 5-lug conversion is really only because I hate the stock rims on the car and 4-lug options are nill, but since I want to add RWHP later I suppose I need to upgrade the rear end anyway. So I thought of using this - 1979-93 Mustang 8.8" 31 Spline Rear Axle Conversion Kit, - 5 Lug at LRS - Same Day Shipping! - since my factory trac-lok doesn't work. (Also, I never looked into this, but I assume my 5.0 LX has 8.8 rear end??) So the question is, what part(s) do I need to convert the front to 5-lug while still using the factory front brakes (or at least the same calipers) and not limiting my wheel choices (e.g. the Lincoln mark 8 rotors that stick out too far). I'm looking at aftermarket 18" wheels if that makes a difference. And for the rear disc conversion, what parts would I need to work with the axles in this kit? I thought I might go with these for the MC - 1993 Mustang Cobra Brake Master Cylinder at LRS - Same Day Shipping! 1987-93 Mustang Adapter for 1994-95 GT or 1993 Cobra Brake Master Cylinder To Factory 1987-93 Mustang Hard Lines at LRS - Same Day Shipping! so what rotors/pads etc. for the rear and what else is required? Or....do I have this all wrong to begin with? I've tried searching these forums for the brake/5-lug answers and frankly, there is so much discussion on the topic and so many ways to do it that it's only made it more confusing for me (information overload). Someone please simplify this for a layman.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I had Eibach springs originally and hated the ride. Way too stiff for me. I went w/ FRPP C springs. They give a somewhat stiff ride also but nowhere near the Eibachs, IMO. "B" springs lower the same but have more of a stock ride to them. The convertible springs are for the added weight in rear for top and associated hardware. Be careful with getting urethane bushings as they also ride rough. Get greasable ones. Front 5 lug rotors you can use are from the 2WD Ranger p/u. Bolt right up. You may want to upgrade rear brakes to disc. I did, best thing I could have done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts