Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1990 LX 5.0 and I am swapping my AOD for a T-5. I found a 1990 gt donor car, but the car has a 351w carburated engine in it. is the transmission the same? will it bolt up to my 302? I know this is probobly a basic question but i'm a new mustang guy...no more Camaro! Also is the 351w worth holding onto?

·
Registered
25 Posts
yep, bolt pattern is the same. It might even be a tremec tko, who knows but if its a 5speed bolted to a 351w, it will work. just be sure to check clutch size and bell housing size for starter issues. I put a 97 v6 t5 in my 89, and havnt had a problem with it yet.:winks

·
Registered
653 Posts
If I were you I'd pull that 351 out and drop it in your LX or just build up the GT. I have a 351w in my 87 GT and its a torque monster. You got a lot more potential with the 351w than the 302. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If it's a stock T5, I would probably pass on that one. The T5 is a good trans, but the torque rating is not all that high. Put it behind a 351W with some mods, and they often don't last very long.

I'd keep looking for a stock 5.0 as a donor.

·
Registered
653 Posts
He's 100% right. Forgot to mention that. Unless you have some sort of way of checking the tranny out, try and get a T5 out of something with a little less power. That 351 will eat it for breakfast if the car has been driven hard at all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wont be using anything from the donor car except drivetrain parts, the rest of the car is rotted out really bad. I dont need the 351 my 302 works good. but another question, if the 351 is carburated now can I swap my MAF system onto it?

·
Registered
653 Posts
yup, all you need is a lower intake for an EFI 351 and you can bolt your stock intake to that. Or you can get any of the 351w upper and lower intakes for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok so I bought the parts car, got it for $800, it is in pretty rough shape, but the 351 runs well and the tranny seems good. now just the tear down part...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.