Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while ago my car started making some serious valvetrain noises on the Driver side. So today I finally pull off the valve covers and find that the rocker for #5 exhaust valve feels extremely loose. But the bolt is tight to spec. So Am I right in assuming that the lifter has failed completely?

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
Very possible. Take the intake off and find out. Does the pushrod move freely?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the pushrod moves around pretty freely. Not enough that it will come flying through the valve cover, but I'm 100% sure thats whats causing my valvtrain noise. I'm already in the process of taking the intake off, I should have it off soon weather permitting (DAMN winter!!)

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
Well good luck with it. It probably is a failed lifter.

·
Registered
103 Posts
couldnt it be just a bent pushrod also? wouldnt that cause it to be loose? even if its slighly bent it would still turn alil. correct? im just asking this because i just had the same issue that im dealing with now.. had a few loose rockers and the rods we actually slightly bent also.. i just hope the lifter isnt an issue and find out when i reassemble everything.. what do you think Eagle?? also is there a way to check the lifters since i have the rockers and pushrods out right now before i put everything back together and waste another 100 on gaskets?

sorry to butt in but this could help us both

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, my plan was to change all 16. They're on order already. I really doubt the pushrod is bent. I mean, It would have to be bent fairly obviously to cause that much slack. I already had the pushrod out and looked at. Rolling it on a flat surface it looked okay.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ya it sounds like a lifter then.. good luck bro.. atleast im not the only one going through this kind of problem right now..haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.