Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying a 1990 Mustang LX converted to a GT. The person I am buying from have converted all wiring and everything necessary for the conversion. However I asked him if he changed the rear-end to an 8.8, and he said it still has the LX rear-end. And I basically want to know if the rear-end needs to be changed. So if you guys could let me know, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :yelwacko:

·
Registered
607 Posts
If it still has the 4 cyl. rear in it, it has the 7.5 rear. If it's a completely stock 5.0, you will be fine, just no burn outs with it. If you start putting some bolt ons on it or slicks, etc. then you will have to upgrade to the 8.8.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I thought you were going to ask if you looked fat.

Thank god.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thank you. All thats been done is headers and flowmasters. So I should be ok right?

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Question about my rear end?
No, those pants don't make it look too big.

(Being a married man, that response just comes out automatically.)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Do all factory 5.0 mustang lx's come with the 8.8, or do some v8's come with the 7.5 too?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Yeah you'll be fine. I'm talking about when you do things such as slicks, suspension upgrades, etc. things that will either help you hook at the track or add some good hp. Headers and exhaust are like what 10 hp? You're good with the 7.5 for a while just to drive around with. If you want to start racing/do burn outs, then ditch it and get either a 8.8 or a ford 9".

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
A v8 car comes w/ an 8.8 the housing is squared on the corners. A 4cyl has a 7.5 the housing has a round pumpkin.

·
Registered
13,040 Posts
If you plan on running the car at the track, racing it or doing some power upgrades then you will have to eventually switch out to a 8.8.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.