Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I do not know to much about cars in general, so advice would be much appreciated.

Just recently bought a 1990 Mustang lx convertible automatic, has newish engine, and was driving nicely. Few days ago, started the car up, drove a few feet and it made a strange noise, realized my girlfriend put on the parking break and I did not notice.

The parking break was stuck, I had to use extreme force to put it down. As i drove home, I could tell it was still on, after stopping or making turns the car would need extreme force, basically flooring it to go. Took it to the shop, they disengaged it and cut and put up the break.

It was driving fine at this point, but a few hours later, the car was back to having to use a lot of force on the gas to go. Today, I went to drive the car and it was revving up while driving, seeming having problems changing gears. By the end of the day, I was not able to even drive at all, having to floor it to even go, basically every few feet and the rear tires would skid.

I am wondering if it is a simple problem to solve, or would be every costly. At this point, I am not trying to have a fix that will last for years or anything like that, just a few weeks or a month, until I have more money to dedicate to it. So any quick fix ideas would be great.

I have already tried Lucas transmission fix, with no luck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I do NOT like any of the transmission fix formulas. They inevitably cause more problems than they solve.

The first thing you need to do is to make SURE that your brakes are not causing a problem. One easy way would be to jack it up on one side at a time and make sure that each wheel turns freely. Once you have done that, check the transmission fluid level. It must be warmed up and on level ground to get an accurate reading. If the brakes are OK and the fluid level is OK, you are going to need professional help, possibly a transmission rebuild.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts