Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1990 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback and didn't nothing pennies stuck in the 12V plug when I plug in my GPS. I stalled the car out a few times being this my first manual transmission car but now it won't start. Me and the guy I bought the car from did some trouble shooting and the ignition fuse was blown and the blaster coil was bad. Replaced both and it sounds a lot better when it turns over but still won't start. Battery is good and we call a tech and he is saying there may be a shorted out wire. Any ideas before I spend that fee to the dealership for a dianostic or should I just roll with the experts. Thinking something else may have gotten damaged with those pennies in the plug. Did see some sparks when we where trying to fix it and that is when we found the pennies. Any tips or ideas would help.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Check the fuel pump make sure its working, check the fuse to the pump. the 12volt fuse should nopt due anything to cause the car not to start. I pulled the fuse on mine because i had a short also.. Make sure ur getting fuel to the engine. Let me know after u check these and i can trouble shoot some more stuff. I jus finished my 89 cobra clone, so I know all the issues. been fixing them since i bought the car last year.

S

·
0 Posts
Wow!......This brings back a memory from the Spring of '90:hihi: I say this because something very similar happened to me!
In my incident, I was fooling around with the cars cig. lighter (I was holding it in long after it auto clicked, because it was ready).... Well needless to say, I not only popped the 12V accessory fuse but it also blew the Main 30A (or whatever Amperage the main fuse is) Starter fuse.... So I took care of both of these fuses only to find out, that I also cooked the fuse that controls the Coil !......So, thats 3 freaking fuses because I held the lighter in too long.
But as was stated above, you should go through and check ALL of your High power fuses (Fuel pump, PCM, Coil etc.)

But Im going to place this in the proper Forum, so our Fox body owners can chime in
P.S. You should create a "User signature" with what size engine you have:gringreen Because as you know, the LX came with both the 5.0 HO, and the 2.3 OHC 4 cylinder engines

Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts